Consultantancy Service: Vegetable Crops Production & Management Curriculum Development Expert
- Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation. Founded in the Netherlands 50 years ago, we have built a long-term, local presence in 39 of the poorest countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
For more information on SNV's operations, visit our website: www.snvworld.org
The objective of the assignment is to improve the module ‘Vegetable crops production and management’ of the Nationally Harmonised Curriculum for Horticulture Program (BSc level). This module aims to offer the student the knowledge and skills in vegetable production and management.
We are looking for an (inter-)national (academic) consultant with experience in vegetable production; more especially on:
• Identifying the environmental and production requirement of vegetables
• Site selection and field establishment of vegetables
• Good Agricultural Practices in vegetable production
• Basic aspects of seedbed preparation and nursery management
• Impact of GAP on post-harvest aspects.
Good knowledge of the following is needed as well:
• Identify the major vegetable, root and tuber crops in Ethiopia
• The nutritional, social and economic importance of the these crops
• Harvesting and post-harvest handling of the most common of these crops.
This experience can be a mixture of the following types of experiences:
• Practical experience in companies or with smallholders
• In academic research and lecturing at MSc level
• Experience in teaching the topics at BSc level
Experience with universities or programs in Ethiopia or in Sub-Saharan Africa is an advantage; as well as experience with smallholders development initiatives elsewhere in the world.
The detailed terms of reference and information on how to apply can be obtained by sending a request to Lidiya Endalkachew at lendalkachew @ snv.org by copying aterefe @ snv.org
Any interested expert can apply for the assignment by submitting:
· An Expression of Interest with an overview of the methodology/approach going to be used
· A CV; including an appendix with an explanation of the elements relevant to the assignment
· The expected daily fee
· Three references.
Please submit your application in hard copy to the following address on or before 9 February 2018
All submissions should be sent to:
SNV Ethiopia, Human Resource Office,
· Africa Avenue; In front of the Millennium Hall; Next to the new Ethiopian Airlines five-star hotel under construction; 200 meter from the main road at the right side;
telephone: +251 (0)11 616 6232
NB. All submissions shall be in hard copy. Soft copy submission will not be accepted.