- Chicago, IL
Founded in Chicago in 1876, Sacred Heart Schools at Sheridan Road (Hardey Preparatory for Boys and Academy of the Sacred Heart for Girls) are independent, Catholic, single-gender elementary schools committed to academic excellence within the context of a Christian, faith-based community. The educational mission is deeply rooted in the 200-year tradition of the Society of the Sacred Heart and shared with the Network of Sacred Heart Schools located in 30 countries, including 22 schools in the United States. The essence of this tradition is the total development of each child: spiritual, intellectual, social, emotional and physical. Our girls and boys are taught in single-gender classrooms, but follow a similar curriculum and share in many activities. With a total enrollment of approximately 700 students, the schools are organized into three academic divisions each led by a division head.
General: The Business Manager (BM) upholds the mission of the Network Sacred Heart Schools as expressed in the Goals and Criteria and the mission statement of Sacred Heart Schools, Chicago as approved by the Board of Trustees. The BM is responsible to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) for managing the schools’ resources in a prudent and careful manner. She/he will partner with the CFO and key management to create a premier finance office that upholds NAIS and ISACS Principles of Good Practice and is fully supportive of the Schools' mission, standards and policies.
Essential Job Functions:
- Have responsibility for the accounting function including: AP, purchasing, vendor management, student billing & collections for tuition, extended care, and auxiliary programs, payroll & benefits, fixed assets, expenses, accruals, account reconciliations, policies and procedures, etc.
- Partner with Human Resources Director to administer payroll as well as manage employee benefits and insurance.
- Ensure the integrity of financial data and the general ledger system. Review and implement internal control improvements.
- Produce monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports in accordance with GAAP, with actual results vs. budget including variation analysis and recommendations as appropriate.
- Drive the Schools’ budgeting processes and reporting including: a) participation in NAIS and ISBOA surveys; b) drafting budgets for consideration by the CFO, HOS, Finance/Audit Committee, and Board of Trustees; c) preparation of long-range projections for the schools’ finances, including assessment of risk; d) preparation of monthly budget to actual reports.
- Manage and support the Schools' annual audit process and reporting.
- Supervise Finance Office as well as Portry (reception) staff. Manage their growth and professional development to enhance the performance and capacity of the department.
- Perform cash flow management activities to promote efficient use of working capital.
- Administrate and support the management of other school programs including: lunch service, bus program, field trips, student fund-raising, new employee orientation, etc.
- Lead the re-enrollment process in coordination with Admissions.
- Manage Financial Aid process for the Schools including communications, partnering with third party processor, application evaluation, and grant awards.
- File required corporate reports with all governmental agencies including the Internal Revenue Service Form 5578, Illinois Welfare Exemption, Cook County Property Tax Return and other forms.
- Coordinate efforts with other departments across the Schools as necessary and appropriate.
- Serve on the Finance, and Buildings and Grounds Committees / Councils of the Board of Trustees
- Attend school special events as needed to further relations with Sacred Heart constituents.
- Maintain professional relationships with local and national organizations to ensure professional growth and understanding of best practices.
- Fulfill other duties as assigned by the CFO or the Head of Schools.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Consistent record of excellence, personal achievement, leadership, creativity, and initiative
- Demonstrated management and leadership experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Well developed interpersonal skills
- Detail-oriented with strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to manage teams and multi-task
- Professional, independent self-starter with service orientation
- Demonstrated ability to achieve quality results in an efficient and timely manner
- Prioritizes and delegates in an effective and appropriate manner
- Ability to resolve conflicts while maintaining the right and human dignity of all parties
- Experience with Blackbaud Financial Edge software ~ strongly preferred
- High degree of proficiency in Microsoft Office including Excel, Word, Outlook
- Facility with a variety of education-related software, vendors, partners ~ a plus
- Knowledge of fund raising systems and practices ~ a plus
- Commitment to development of relevant professional knowledge, skills and abilities as needed
- 5 to 7 years of progressive experience in accounting & finance
- Business Manager or similar Controller experience required
- Experience in education field
- Bachelor's degree with major in Accounting
- CPA and Master's degree preferred
Interested candidates should upload a letter of interest and résumé including references no later than March 4, 2013 to:
Sacred Heart Schools’ website:
Sacred Heart Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, physical or mental disability or handicap, veteran status, marital status or any other classification protected by law.
There are certain positions, such as those that teach students religion at Sacred Heart Schools, for which it is necessary to be Catholic, for which preference in hiring shall be given to people who are Catholic and who evidence an understanding of the Catholic faith and a commitment to living that faith. Such preference is allowed under state and federal law, and does not constitute an illegal act of discrimination.