Senior Dev/Ops Engineer
- Austin, TX
Macmillan New Ventures discovers and develops innovative and proven technologies and new products that drive learning outcomes and engagement. Part of global media company Macmillan, the New Ventures division pushes the boundaries of where, when and how learning happens - teacher to student; student to teacher; and peer to peer.
To make this happen, we serve as the bridge between the best ed-tech startups and best learning institutions in the U.S. We partner with startups however we need to in order to bring innovation to campuses. With their raw products and our access, relationships, sales force and ability to scale, we can go to market very efficiently.
For more information, visit http://www.macmillannewventures.com.
Amazing things are happening at Macmillan New Ventures and this will be a key position in fulfilling the promise of the portfolio companies. The Senior Dev/Ops Engineer will be working across the entire portfolio, this position will require someone with strategic vision to help consolidate, build and manage the infrastructure.
As a senior member of the MNV team, the Senior Dev/Ops Engineer is expected to possess a very strong command of both systems administration concepts and the software development process. This is an Architect level role which requires analysis of the current Dev/Ops / Build environment and the complete end-end implementation of a custom and seamless automated environment.
Using their experience and skill-set the Senior Dev/Ops Engineer works with various teams and stake holders in the organization including Software, Support, Networking, Quality Assurance and Operations to deliver reliable systems, tools, and customer-facing features.
The Senior Dev/Ops Engineer will be reporting directly to the Head of Engineering for MNV, this is a highly visible position in the company. The position will be based in Austin, TX but domestic travel of up to 15% is expected.
- Involved in all aspects of building and maintaining large scale production infrastructure and services
- Troubleshoot and resolve production issues
- Drive the capacity planning process
- Develop and maintain processes, tools, and documentation in support of production and mentor team members throughout MNV
- Participate in the evaluation of new software, hardware, and infrastructure solutions
- Participate in on-call rotation
Required Skills/ Knowledge:
- Expert like experience with various flavors of *nix and with various software packages and languages like Apache, MySQL, Java, PHP etc.
- Extensive experience with cloud service providers, especially Amazon AWS ecosystem
- Ability to implement a design plan in a virtualized VmWare multi-platform environment script cross Unix/Linux and Mac OS 10 platform
- Tools development experience in scripting and development of systems automation tools (using shell, Perl, Python, etc.)
- Modern systems configuration management tools such as Chef and Puppet
- Strong working knowledge of continuous integration servers such as Hudson or Jenkins
- Experience with open source monitoring and alerting systems (e.g. nagios, cacti, etc.)
- Must split time between developing the tools and working on the server side and must have a passion for both
- Ability to split time between developing the tools and working on the server side
- IP network experience: significant experience with switching/routing/security/slb
- Virtualization technologies experience
- Experience with big data systems, (e.g. Hadoop)
- Excellent communications skills
- Ability to multi-task and re-prioritize projects throughout the day.
Educational Background Required:
B.S. in Computer Science or related field.
Please fill out the application, upload your resume and include your salary history by clicking on this link: https://re21.ultipro.com/HOL1002/JobBoard/JobDetails.aspx?__ID=*1136D526C47C99A4