VP of Human Resources
- Victoria, Canada
Who Are We?
Seeker Solutions is a software development company with a focus on the health informatics field. Founded in 2008 by CEO Duncan MacRae to research natural language processing and machine learning technologies, Seeker has grown to more than 60 people located in Victoria and Vancouver. Our competencies include large-scale data handling, free text processing, system integration, and information and knowledge discovery.
Seeker holds secure private funding, which allows us to focus on solving difficult problems with a long-term approach while adhering to our values. Our goal is to improve Health Outcome Management through the analysis of structured and unstructured data.
Why Choose Seeker?
Seeker’s employees enjoy awesome perks and are passionate about what they do. We strive to give our team members what they need to get things done including:
- Support to expand both your technical and non-technical skills, including expert-led in-house training and conference opportunities
- A pleasant work environment with additional perks (ie. gym memberships, a well-stocked kitchen, foosball and games room, plus more)
- Other benefits to make your out-of-work life better (excellent health care packages, employer contribution to RRSP)
The Vice President of Human Resources (VP of HR) is the senior expert on HR matters at Seeker. They manage a team of HR staff and ensure that together that team provides excellent internal support to all of Seeker’s departments in matters of personnel. The VP of HR identifies creative and practical solutions to complex and diverse HR issues. They ensure that the company’s recruitment, personnel and HR systems needs are met with a focus on alignment with Seeker’s culture, meeting organizational needs and mitigating risk.
The VP of HR manages the HR department. As such, the VP of HR:
- Plans and manages the budget for HR projects and activities;
- Is personally involved in the highest risk and highest sensitivity HR situations;
- Focuses on continually improving the quality and effectiveness of the HR team’s work; and,
- Ensures that together as a group, the HR team consistently and professionally:
- Administers an efficient and effective hiring process that gets great results.
- Meets staff vacancy needs by recruiting, interviewing with managers and assisting in selecting applicants.
- HR’s main role in interviewing and selecting candidates at Seeker is to support managers in identifying individuals who will or won’t flourish in Seeker’s environment.
- Develops, administers and evaluates applicant tests and recruitment processes designed to get Seeker an exceptional employee in the shortest amount of time possible.
- Plans and executes proactive recruiting activities such as job fair booths and technical convention attendance.
- Builds strong recruitment channels, including with talent agents, professional organizations, universities and other technology sector employers.
- Provides support to managers and new staff through a three and six month review process that results in the retention of world class employees.
Employee and Management Support:
- Builds and maintains trust with employees, managers and the executive
- Fosters high morale in the office.
- Ensures the office is a safe and comfortable environment for everyone.
- Provides current and prospective employees with information about policies, job duties, working conditions, wages, opportunities for promotion and employee benefits.
- Plans and conducts new employee orientation to foster a positive attitude and clarity about organizational objectives and culture in new staff.
- Mitigates employee burn out by supporting work life balance throughout the organization.
- Drives the annual review process, ensuring that a roadmap of success exists for each employee and that roles, responsibilities and expectations are clear to all staff.
- Assists employees on work matters, career development and personal problems.
- Performs difficult staffing duties, including refereeing disputes, providing support and HR advice to managers with employee issues and providing support and guidance to employees with challenging and sometimes personal situations, such as their need to go on short term disability. Look for win-win situations whenever possible.
- Conducts exit interviews to identify reasons for a staff member’s departure and advise on changes needed if patterns emerge.
- Serves as a link between management and employees by handling questions, interpreting and administering contracts and helping resolve work-related problems.
- Drives initiatives in the management team and within Corporate Services, especially in ways that ensure that all applicable labour codes are adhered to, that staff are always treated with integrity and that mutual trust is being fostered throughout the company.
HR Systems Management:
- Maintains records and compiles statistical reports concerning personnel-related data such as hires, transfers, performance appraisals, training costs and absenteeism rates.
- Ensures salary levels and overall compensation meet current needs across the company.
- Enhances HR’s and Corporate Services’ reputation by accepting ownership for undertaking new and different requests and by consistently exploring opportunities to add value to Seeker in new ways. Brings creativity and enthusiasm to new problems.
- Manages Seeker’s HR legal requirements and needs with a focus on best practices and risk mitigation:
- Ensures that everything Seeker does complies with all applicable legislation and regulations including (but not limited to) BC Employment Standards Act, BC Employment Standards Regulations, BC Human Rights Code and WCB requirements.
- Stays current on new HR legislation and court interpretations of HR legislation that Seeker may need to comply with now or in the future.
- Advises of necessary changes to keep Seeker in adherence with best HR practice and legal requirements.
- Manages Seeker’s Employment Agreement template, keeping it current with legislation and best practices.
- Maintains a thorough and accurate personnel file system that mitigates risk through excellent record keeping.
- Represents Seeker at personnel-related hearings and investigations.
- Advises managers and executive on how to handle difficult or sensitive personnel situations with a focus on mitigating risk and upholding Seeker’s corporate value of integrity.
- Supplies a third party witness in stressful meetings between managers and employees. Ensure these meetings are well documented.
- Informs management and employee actions by researching, developing, writing and updating HR policies, procedures, methods and guidelines.
- Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP) or 15+ years experience in HR roles
- Proven proficiency managing and growing a HR team
- Phenomenal planning, organizational, analytical and decision-making skills
- Great oral and written communication skills
- Excellent document management skills
- Tact and discretion when dealing with people and confidential information
- Significant organizational astuteness and situational awareness
- Experience developing standards, creating and improving processes
- Senior Human Resources Professional (SHRP)
- Birkman Method Certification or Experience
- Change Management Training or Experience
- Experience working in the technology sector
- Recruitment expertise
Salary: Salary to be determined by experience
Start Date: As soon as possible
Job Status: Full time
Please forward your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
We can only accept applications from people legally allowed to work in Canada.
While Seeker Solutions Inc. values all applications we receive, only those candidates short-listed for further consideration will be contacted