Marketing Manager, China
- San Mateo, CA
ShopRunner is a members-only service for online shoppers that provides unique benefits across hundreds of the best online stores. ShopRunner's members save time and money with benefits including free 2-day shipping with no minimum order, free and easy return shipping, exclusive member offers, and easy 2-click check out.
ShopRunner enables its retail partners to offer superior benefits to highly sought after online shoppers, delivering significant new sales and customer acquisition while increasing conversion of existing customers.
By providing ShopRunner’s meaningful benefits to members, retail partners—including Neiman Marcus, Cole Haan, Diesel, Toys”R”Us, American Eagle Outfitters, Brooks Brothers, Tommy Hilfiger, PetSmart, Anne Klein, GNC, and RadioShack—are better positioned to compete in today's marketplace.
BACKGROUND ON CROSS BORDER COMMERCE OPPORTUNITY:
Alibaba (parent company of Alipay) is the world’s largest ecommerce company and China’s largest Internet company, processing $170B in transaction volume in 2012, more than Amazon and eBay combined. Alipay is a payment service designed to deliver secure online transactions in China and has 800M registered users. During “Singles Day”—a marketing promotional day in November 2013 – Alipay processed $6B in sales completed on Alibaba’s two main platforms Taobao and Tmall.
In 2013, Alibaba led a substantial investment in ShopRunner. To address pent up and unmet shopper demand in China to buy directly from U.S. retailers, ShopRunner and Alipay will launch a partnership that enables Chinese shoppers to seamlessly make online purchases from U.S. retailers in the ShopRunner network.
ShopRunner’s Marketing Manager, China is responsible for harnessing the insights from the ShopRunner+Alipay pilot to grow and expand the brand and direct marketing of the partnership as well as the products and retailers to the Chinese consumer through various media channels. The primary goal of this role is to develop a framework that enables ShopRunner to build its awareness among Chinese consumers and to scale our retailer network sales through insights-driven marketing, CRM, and merchandising. This role is critical to ShopRunner’s global expansion, ensuring local market success and learnings to grow the business and take advantage of this unique partnership on behalf of our network of retail partners.
In this role, you will be expected to:
- Be the internal expert on developing direct-to-consumer marketing strategies in China that can build brand and direct marketing results
- Generate awareness and demand for ShopRunner-Alipay services in China to the right consumers
- Help to refine the value proposition to retail partners and deliver content that increases ShopRunner’s services to U.S. retailers and our authority on marketing to Chinese shoppers
- Build a data-driven approach to delivering marketing impact in China
- Support the ShopRunner-Alipay team with presentations to retail partners in the rollout and scaling of this partnership across our network
- Optimize business process to ensure effective and efficient communication and appropriate level of focus within internal ShopRunner teams and Alipay partners as the opportunity scales
- Works across multifunctional teams to bring initiatives to fruition
- Identify, report, and act on the key metrics that drive the partnership
- Undertake some travels to China
- Proven track record driving accelerating growth in an International e-commerce business (consumer goods or retail preferred).
- 5+ years of experience in a marketing role, with an emphasis on International marketing.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, with a track record of balancing left brain and right brain thinking applied to business problems.
- Highly motivated, results-oriented, ability to initiate and drive projects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must work well cross functionally. Must have ability to work effectively across all internal teams and external partners to manage context and drive progress.
- MBA a plus.
- Proficient in Mandarin.
- Strategic thinking capabilities and the ability to accomplish goals in a timely, productive and fiscally responsible manner.
- An entrepreneurial attitude; thrives in an environment of change and ambiguity.
The successful candidate will first and foremost be a curious, analytical and creative individual with a passion for new challenges and white space opportunities. This individual will be comfortable rolling up the sleeves to get things done and have a proven track record of working across internal and external multifunctional teams to push for progress and achieve ambitious goals.