- Manhattan Beach, CA
A two-billion-dollar global leader in the high performance and lifestyle footwear industry, Skechers USA, Inc. designs, develops and markets more than 3,000 styles for men, women and children. Skechers' success stems from its employees, high-quality, varied product offering, diversified domestic and international distribution channels, and targeted multi-channel marketing.
The company offers two distinct footwear categories: a lifestyle division which includes Skechers Memory Foam and the charity line BOBS from Skechers, and Skechers Performance which includes Skechers GOrun and Skechers GOwalk footwear. Through licensing agreements, the company also offers branded apparel, bags, eyewear and more.
Celebrity product endorsees for Skechers' collections include the world famous drummer Ringo Starr, multi-platinum recording artist Demi Lovato, model and actress Kelly Brook, TV personality Brooke Burke-Charvet, legendary quarterbacks Joe Montana and Joe Namath, baseball stars Pete Rose and Mariano Rivera, and The Voice winner Danielle Bradbery. In addition, elite marathon champion and Boston Marathon winner Meb Keflezighi, elite runner Kara Goucher, and pro golfer Matt Kuchar represent the Skechers Performance Division.
The Company sells its footwear in department, specialty and independent stores, as well as through more than 1000 Company-owned Skechers retail stores and online at skechers.com. Beyond the United States, Skechers product is available in more than 120 countries and territories through an international network of subsidiaries in Canada, Brazil, Chile, Japan, and across Europe, as well as through joint ventures in Asia and distributors around the world.
Skechers ships product through a 1.82 million square-foot, fully automated, LEED-Gold certified distribution facility in California that serves North America. The Company also operates a 753,000-square-foot facility in Belgium that serves Europe and ships directly to the rest of the planet.
The Footwear Designer will develop/design the next generations of Skechers USA footwear products through their thorough understanding of current fashion trends, market conditions, consumer expectations, and manufacturing process understanding.
You will collaborate with all team members, marketing, and the sales team on projects to maximize the effectiveness and salability of the product designs.
The Footwear Designer will have the ability to go beyond general interpretation of the marketplace trends to create original and innovative product designs while following direction in your respective category.
You will have a strong understanding of the overall merchandising strategy of your division.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESULTS
• Design and create innovative footwear to drive top line sales and profitability.
• Have an understanding of target costs and have the ability to build to a desired cost that fits within the merchandising strategy.
• Have a strong understanding of the current fashion trends through trend shopping, tradeshows, and researching industry information.
• Contribute in pre-season design discussions with trend boards and designs ideas based on knowledge of the trends and business opportunities.
• Maintain constant interaction with the lead designer and merchandiser on plans, briefs, color palettes, pricing, themes, and strategies.
• Adhere to the seasonal product development calendar and ensure that projects are on track for that season’s line plan.
• Collaborate with colorist/material team to develop product that the consumer will gravitate towards and drive top line sales and profitability.
• Protect and enhance Skechers DNA through your design process.
• Periodic travel to Asia to follow up on development projects.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Ability to sketch shoes accurately and provide detailed specifications.
• Have an understanding of the footwear production process at the factory level.
• Advanced skill set in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator with an understanding of 3D design programs.
• Strong communication skills both verbal and written.
• Work well with a team.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Design, Footwear Design, Fashion Design or 2-4 years of related work experience.
• Have experience and a strong understanding of shoe constructions, materials, colors, and costing measures.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The skills, abilities and physical demands described are representative of those duties that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities, who are otherwise qualified for the job position, to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk; sit, reach with hands and arms, and stoop, kneel. The employee is occasionally required to sit for long period of times.