Regional Employee Relations Manager
- San Francisco, CA
A three-billion-dollar global leader in the high performance and lifestyle footwear industry, Skechers USA, Inc. designs, develops and markets more than 3,000 styles for men, women and children. Skechers' success stems from its employees, high-quality, varied product offering, diversified domestic and international distribution channels, and targeted multi-channel marketing.
The company offers two distinct footwear categories: a lifestyle division and performance footwear. Through licensing agreements, the company also offers branded apparel, bags, eyewear, toys, and more.
Celebrity product endorsees for Skechers' collections include multi-platinum recording artists Demi Lovato and Meghan Trainor, model and actress Kelly Brook, TV personality Brooke Burke-Charvet, and boxing great Sugar Ray Leonard. In addition, elite marathon champion and Boston Marathon winner Meb Keflezighi, elite runner Kara Goucher, and pro golfers Matt Kuchar, Belén Mozo and Colin Montgomerie represent the Skechers Performance Division.
The Company sells its footwear in department, specialty and independent stores, as well as through more than 1340 Company-owned Skechers retail stores and online at skechers.com. Beyond the United States, Skechers product is available in more than 160 countries and territories through an international network of subsidiaries in Canada, Brazil, Chile, Japan, and 27 countries in Western and Central Eastern Europe, as well as through joint ventures in Asia and distributors around the world.
Headquartered in Manhattan Beach, California, Skechers is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol SKX.
The Employee Relations Manager assists with the coordination of programs, policies and priorities of Skechers Retail Division. The Employee Relations Manager will lead and assist in associates relations, workplace investigations, performance management review, conflict resolution, management development and employment policies and practices. In addition, the ERM is also one of the retail division's business partners in advising the store management and retail operations team regarding associate relations and HR policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESULTS
- Resolves manager and employee dissatisfaction by investigating complaints and concerns, evaluating and offering possible courses of action and provide advice, guidance and direction for resolution.
- Work collaboratively with the store management team, regional/district teams on employee relations issues.
- Maintains Human Resources records by: documenting incidents and resolutions of issues. Obtain opinions from HR Directors, VP of HR and Legal counsel as appropriate.
- Studying existing and new legislation.
- Deliver exceptional customer service to the regional team, store management teams, sales associates and operations team.
- Provide leadership and support to managers and associates on policy interpretation and other associate relations matters, including but not limited to performance management and internal administrative investigations.
- Identify possible courses of action or best practices which prevent workplace misconduct and prevent incidents which violate the Anti-harassment policies.
- Recognize compliance issues and suggest solutions or best practices to address issues.
- To assist with company’s Worker’s Compensation program by communicating with field HR, managers and affected employees, assist in ensuring completion of required paperwork and monitoring claims.
- Develop, organize and facilitate human resources best practices and programs to meet the strategic business needs of Retail Operations.
- Understand and apply all Federal, State, and local laws in conjunction with SKX policies and procedures, ensure proper State, Federal and SKX are posted in all associates work areas.
- Review and evaluate all terminations and Corrective Action performance management; exercising great care that the reasons are well documented and are not arbitrary or discriminatory.
- Work with HR Director(s) to improve retention by utilizing feedback received in exit interviews and quarterly turnover reports.
- Ensure that all performance evaluations are administered on time with the partnership of the DM/RM Team.
- Assist in monitoring and reviewing region(s) compensation guidelines and exceptions.
- Manage various projects as assigned
- Maintains open communication channels with employees and managers by: good communication skills, attention to detail; adhere to the code of business conduct and asset protection policies. Answering questions and explaining policies and procedures, and encouraging the use of corrective action planning or coaching.
- Multi-task in a high-energy fast paced work environment.
- Maintains manager and employee confidence and protects reputations and corporate integrity by: Keeping information confidential.
- Yes, as assigned.
- Must have previous employee relations experience with working knowledge of state, and federal employment laws and/or regulations in various states.
- Must have ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with managers and other levels of personnel.
- Must be computer literate, with knowledge of Word, Excel, Internet, and email applications.
- Must be able to operate standard office equipment, including but not limited to phone, fax, copier, calculator, blackberry and printer.
- Ability to read, understand and execute human resources related reports, policies and initiatives.
- Manage and train managers on a variety of topics.
- Ability to maintain effective and productive working relationships within all store locations and other field and corporate departments.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Must be able to create detailed and complex employee communication with minimal supervision.
- Occasional travel as dictated by business necessity.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, policies and procedures, and operating and maintenance instructions
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent
- Minimum 5 years’ direct experience in the retail, multi-store/chain environment.
- Minimum 5-7 years’ HR generalist experience.
- Professional Human Resources (PHR) Certification a plus.
- Flexible work schedule including occasional nights and weekends
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The skills, abilities and physical demands described are representative of those duties that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities, who are otherwise qualified for the job position, to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk; sit, reach with hands and arms, and stoop, kneel. The employee is occasionally required to sit for long period of times.