Senior Systems Engineer f/m
- Hamburg, Germany
Smaato is the global real-time advertising platform for mobile publishers and app developers. Smaato runs the world’s largest independent mobile ad exchange and has been pioneering innovative, mobile-first solutions for publishers since 2005.
Smaato’s SPX is a global, intelligent, and free to use self-service platform built to solve the mobile monetization challenge for its over 90,000 mobile app developers and publishers. The company’s worldwide reach and extensive network of demand partners provides a massive inventory of advertisers with one single integration. Smaato manages up to 6 billion ads every day around the world, across over 600 million mobile users each month.
The Systems Engineering Team at Smaato operates a highly available, globally distributed, latency bound web service hosted exclusively on Amazon Web Services. Our environment relies heavily on Ubuntu LTS in EC2, as well as many other AWS services. We are actively expanding to include new technologies and new operational capacity through automation and monitoring. We are also looking into all that new and hip container stuff.
You are an experienced Linux Systems Engineer, comfortable with working in terminal, and editing in vi. You lust for automating infrastructure tasks, and are willing to take on a slew of challenges to help build something new and enable us to meet new challenges.
You dream of running large clusters of systems efficiently, and quickly resolving problems as they appear. Your desire for a monitored and properly metricked platform borders on obsessional. You have used BSD and four different flavors of Linux, and found them all just not quite perfect enough. You see the potential in quickly adjusting infrastructure around the needs of the moment, and prediction around upcoming requirements.
- 5 years’ experience with UNIX or Linux operating systems (preferably Ubuntu)
- 2 years of experience with virtualized network infrastructure
- Deep understanding of IPv4 TCP/IP
- Able to shell script and write effective Ruby or Python
- Familiar with Git, and configuration management tools like Puppet
- Understand Apache HTTPD, Tomcat and Java
- Fundamental understanding of AWS services: EC2, ELB, EMR, RDS, Route53, etc.
- Experience with AWS CLI tools, boto, docker/container, or managing “Big Data” tools such as EMR/Hadoop, Kafka, and Spark would be a plus
- Fluency in English; German skills are a plus
- A unique and diverse company culture, shaped by people with commitment, sense of responsibility, risk-taking and discipline. We reward this with numerous incentive programs, regular team events, fresh fruit in the office and fun activities
- Flat hierarchies and short decision paths
- Competitive salary and incentive programs such as employee shareholder programs, a HVV Proficard (public transit ticket for Hamburg) or equivalent, company pension plan and variable, success-oriented compensation
- Training programs and career development opportunities
- Flexible working hours and work-life-balance options
- An incredible office space with 360° view of Hamburg City and Harbor, with lounges and gaming rooms with foosball tables, PS 4 consoles and more!