Executive Director South Bay Bicycle Coalition
- Manhattan Beach, CA
The South Bay Bicycle Coalition (SBBC), a 4 year old advocacy organization working to make LA's South Bay more bikable, is seeking an Executive Director.
1 year ago, the SBBC completed a 2 year Master Bicycle Plan in partnership with 7 cities, Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach, Lawndale, El Segundo, Gardena, and Torrance, resulting in 200 miles of newly planned bikeways. Find out more about us at http://www.southbaybicyclecoalition.org/
Previous Media Coverage
- Build and maintain relationships with Staff, Commissioners and City Council members across the cities involved with the South Bay Bicycle Coalition
- Propose and advocate for aggressive but reasonable CIPs, budgets and policy decisions in those cities to further the implementation of the South Bay Bicycle Master Plan
- Inform and turnout supporters as key decisions/actions are being taken related to plan implementation
- Educate decision-makers about bicycle policy best-practices with visual and written evidence from other cities
- Inform the public about the benefits of cycling
- Serve as the spokesperson for SBBC at conferences, community events, public hearings at to the media
- Organize & run successful infrastructure campaigns that engage all stakeholders, build support, and generate more awareness of SBBC
- Establish quarterly fundraising goals
- Spearhead events to meet these goals
- Meet and solicit funds from potential major donors and sponsors
- Identify and pursue grant opportunities
Community Organizing/Stakeholder Involvement
- Reach out to non-profit organizations, particularly ones with the biggest city hall clout to build positive relationships
- Outreach to underserved communities and build relationships with community based organizations that serve their needs
- Engage communities with high bicycle potential such as schools, aerospace employers, civic, and recreation groups.
- Develop relationships with local businesses, BIDS, and Chambers to create supportive partners for planned bikeways, provide discounts to SBBC/LACBC members, and support cycling for shopping.
- Organize a range of engaging events to educate stakeholders, gather input for the planning process and provide bicycle safety and maintenance education.
- Conduct community bike audits and participatory planning exercises to engage stakeholders around the development of their bicycle plan.
Membership and Volunteer Development
- Work with Board to finalize and implement membership structure
- Recruit and organize volunteers to represent SBBC at community events
- Maintain membership database
- Grow our base of dues paying members
- Prepare and send monthly newsletter
- Maintain the website and social media outlets for SBBC
- Review and respond to inquiries
- Prepare monthly reports and track time on outreach activities
- Finalize agenda and attend all general and board meetings
- Facilitate yearly Strategic Planning activities
-3-4 years of professional policy advocacy with a track records of wins.
-Transportation and land use for private or public interest
-Grassroots organizing and/or participatory planning experience.
-Communications skills demonstrated by positive coverage in the media.
- Solid organizational skills.
- Creativity in accomplishing objectives.
-Bicycle background helpful, but not essential.
Please read the desired skills and position roles below. Submit a personalized cover letter along with your resume and any relevant materials (links to press or major projects you have worked on). We are looking for an astute advocate who can influence major policy change, so only applications with a persuasive cover letter will be considered.