Vice President, Technical Design
- 3035 Peachtree Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30305, USA
- Department: Product Design & Development
SPANX isn’t your average company. We revolutionized an industry by challenging the status quo and putting the customer first. While we live in the fashion and retail world, we don’t obsess trends, rules or conventional ways of running a business. Rather – we set the trends, create solutions, and we obsess product with out-of-the-box-thinking and patented technology. Spanx is beloved around the world by customers and celebrities alike for our comfort-first approach to must-haves like shapewear, apparel, jeans, active, leggings, bras and beyond! We elevate women through product and empower them to look and feel their best. And we think we’ve only scratched the surface. We are a high-growth, innovative and ambitious company and we are embarking on an exciting trajectory of both digital and international expansion.
About the role
The Vice President of Technical Design leads a team who translate the creative vision of the design team into technical designs that can be produced by the factory to meet quality and fit specifications for Spanx. Fit is our north star; this position would collaborate with Design to develop product with best in class fit and function. The Vice President of Technical Design works cross functionally with Design, Product Development, and partners with Merchandising to deliver on metrics while protecting brand DNA. This position requires a high level of communication, leadership, technical and process management skills. The Vice President of Technical Design will oversee the product integrity of our brand through fit consistency and construction for products across all categories, Apparel, Active and Intimate Apparel. As the leader of the technical design team, you will play an integral role in further achieving, maintaining, and surpassing the hyper-growth journey that is Spanx.
This role is based in our Atlanta headquarters and reports into the Chief Creative Officer.
You’ll love it because you will…
• Utilize your technical experience to partner with design leads to evaluate a designs aesthetic and proportion as it relates to fit
• Fit on real women of all shapes and sizes
• Build, manage and develop a technical team supporting all categories including Apparel, Active and Intimate Apparel
• Mentor, council, and coach direct reports to be accountable to performance expectations
• Manage the fit process to ensure key milestone meetings and time and action calendar objectives are met
• Drive fit consistency across all categories
• Create, develop, and manage technical design strategy to manage the development and production of seasonal collections, chase product, and test orders.
• Development and maintenance of blocks for a more consistent fit and quicker product development timeline
• Lead standardization of grade rules, pattern block library and construction standards
• Ensure that all products are developed in a manner consistent with established fit and comfort quality, performance, standards, manufacturer capabilities and cost specifications
• Identify risks and work to rectify any problematic construction, fabrics, or trims, collaborating with cross functional teams, early in the fit development process
• Constantly review tools and processes for continuous improvement opportunities, increased productivity, and best practices within Technical Design
• Drive and evolve a technical design strategy, operations, methods, measure of effectiveness
• Travel to regional sourcing offices and/or factories to work with technical teams to troubleshoot, educate, and understand factory capabilities
• 15+ years of relevant Apparel Technical Design experience
• 10+ year leading and building a high performing team
• Bachelor’s degree in relevant field
• Experience in fitting/grade rules for petite, tall and plus categories
• Strong understanding of garment build, construction, and manufacturing process
• Advanced knowledge of fit, establishing grade rules, block creation, pattern making
• Expertise in pattern making including grading, construction and fit for multiple or complex product
• Advanced business function expertise with proven ability to drive results
• High levels of accountability
• A balanced and objective thought leader whom possess character and integrity
• Ability to influence and drive alignment companywide at all levels
• Ability to unify vision for companywide priorities and goals
• Overseas travel experience, knowledge – travel international and domestic required
• Systems: MS office (Excel/Word/Outlook); Adobe (Illustrator and Photoshop); PLM
• Patterns systems (Gerber, Lectra, etc.)
• 3D knowledge a plus but not required
In 2000, Sara Blakely had a party to go to, a pair of white pants and a struggle to find the right undergarments. So, she cut the feet out of her control-top pantyhose, creating a smooth canvas to wear under her clothes. Through sheer tenacity and a strong belief in herself, she revitalized the hosiery industry and created a new category. Since her original invention of footless pantyhose, SPANX has created thousands of other products – all centered around creating wardrobe solutions and empowering customers to look and feel their best. We dream big, think forward and give back. We challenge the status quo and aim high. We hustle hard, but we never take ourselves too seriously… because where’s the fun in that?
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.