Senior Produce Clerk
- Houston, TX
Sprouts is a neighborhood grocery store with the feel of an old-fashioned farmers market. Our bright, friendly stores are filled with everyday staples and specialty items at a great value. You’ll find mountains of fresh fruits and vegetables, barrels of wholesome grains, nuts and sweets, full-service deli, meat and seafood counters—complete with homemade burgers and sausages. Roam around our spacious aisles and you’ll find fresh baked goods, eclectic beer and wine, gourmet cheese, sensibly-priced vitamins and supplements, and thousands of natural, organic and gluten-free groceries. Our friendly and knowledgeable team members are here to help you make healthier choices that are better for you and your budget.
To apply please visit our website; http://sprouts.com/careers
The Senior Produce Clerk is responsible for the proper stocking and rotation of merchandise in the Produce Department, including trimming, watering, and merchandising of products to ensure fresh, high quality offerings. This position ensures proper inventory control to maximize product freshness and availability, and answers questions from customers in a friendly and helpful manner. In addition to regular Produce Clerk duties, the Senior Produce Clerk is also responsible for Produce department operations in the absence of the Produce Manager on duty.
Essential Job Functions
- Carries out lead responsibilities in the absence of the Produce Manager on duty in accordance with Sprouts policies, including oversight of team, compliance with the Sweep program, and supervisory functions.
- Responds positively to customer's inquiries and assists customers with questions, information and product selection.
- Ensures cleanliness of Produce department, storage area, and work area for safety; includes cleaning of shelves and products, keeping floors free of spills or water, removing hazardous debris from floor and sweeping.
- Stocks Produce department; includes presentation of product, facing, filling, and organization of all product items as set by the Produce Department schematics as well as ensuring tag and pricing accuracy.
- Examines the rotation of all Produce products paying particular attention to expired stock and properly discarding outdated or spoiled items pursuant to Sprouts standards.
- Receives, inspects, and logs products for accuracy of shipment, temperature, and quality.
- Requires operating and using equipment such as knives, scales, wrappers, compactors, garbage disposals, pallet jacks, and hand trucks.
- Ensures all wet racks are stocked, clean, and maintain proper temperatures.
- Cleans and sanitizes work area (including tables, floor, scales, cases, cooler, etc.)
- Participates in pre-inventory preparation; includes back stock and assuring tags match products.
- Sustains a high level of product knowledge and product preparation.
- Walks department regularly to ensure an organized, sanitary, and overall clean appearance at all times.
- Follows all safety practices and procedures.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Experience in a lead capacity helpful.
- Ability to effectively lead team members in the absence of a Produce Manager on duty, including supervisory responsibilities.
- Previous Produce experience in a natural foods industry helpful, but not required.
- Basic knowledge of math, weights, and measures.
- Must gain an understanding of proper handling, preparation, seasonality, and appropriate shelf life of products.
- Strong people skills with the ability to work effectively independently and as part of the team.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Food handlers permit.
- Must be 18 or older.
- Requires lifting on a regular basis of between 50 to 65 lbs.
- Continuous standing for long period of time.
- Controlled temperatures, including freezer areas.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and requirements. Sprouts' management reserves the right to amend and change duties, responsibilities, and requirements to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.