Software Engineer, Catalog Server
- Atlanta, GA
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
The Catalog team manages the items and inventory that Square merchants sell to their customers. We support all types of merchants from food trucks with just a few menu items to retail stores with hundreds of thousands of SKUs for sale. Our team maintains the backend services and databases that store items, the web interface used to edit them, and the Android and iOS code used to ring up items at the time of sale.
As a software engineer on the Catalog team, you will be responsible for designing, building, and maintaining the Catalog services and infrastructure that help merchants manage their sales and inventory. You will be deeply involved in the technical details of building highly available and reliable services, while also working with product teams to enable Square to rapidly build new capabilities for our merchants and buyers all over the world.
- Build our Catalog infrastructure, used by the rest of the organization and a key strategic asset of Square
- Design and implement high-volume, low-latency, distributed transaction processing systems, making thoughtful tradeoffs between consistency and availability when both are not possible
- Create coherent service APIs for Square’s products and external developers to build upon
- Build systems that manage customers’ sensitive data and hold Square to the highest standards for security and compliance
- See the big picture to design fault tolerant systems so the team can be brave, move fast, and break things, without ever showing a negative impact to customers
- Innate curiosity and a desire to be responsible for all aspects of helping track Square merchants' catalog data in a small, highly focused team
- Understanding and curiosity in creating highly available, scalable, low-latency, global systems
- Track record of pursuing self-directed side projects, research, or open source projects
- Interest in changing the payments landscape in the US and globally
Technologies we use:
Go, MySQL, Protocol Buffers, Kafka
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.