Senior Software Engineer
- Kitchener, Ontario
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
Square Cash is a quick, easy, and free way to send money. The Cash engineering team is responsible for the code that makes this work. We care about infrastructure that makes it easy to write software that is secure, efficient, and tested. We build incrementally with small changes and we deploy to production every day.
As a member of the Cash engineering team, you’ll collaborate with us to:
- Design data models to support application features
- Build APIs used by apps and microservices
- Scale systems to our growing customer base
- Operate and manage Cash services
- Unit test everything
- Share ownership of the product
- Contribute to the broader tech and open source communities
- Strong desire to perform and grow as an engineer
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated technical initiative on previous projects
Technologies we use and teach:
- Java 8 including JUnit, Hibernate, Guice, and Jersey
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, and Protocol Buffers
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.