International Tax Consulting Lead
- San Francisco, CA
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
The International Tax Consulting Lead will report to Square’s Head of Tax but will work closely with finance, accounting, product, and legal. In this role it is vital to communicate and develop relationships with Senior Management and all functions of the company – in particular our Product Leads. The candidate must be able to analyze all sides of an argument, have strong analytical skills as well as have the ability to research and write tax technical memos, document tax positions for our auditors, and ensure that the proper checks and balances are in place to ensure all aspects have been considered. International tax knowledge and experience, as well as the ability to communicate with multiple interests across functional groups outside the tax function, are required.
You will have the following areas of responsibility:
- US tax implications on non-US operations as well as local country tax implications.
- International IP offshoring and tax efficient structuring
- Transfer pricing
- Informational Reporting – FATCA, Sec. 1441, Backup withholding and Sec. 6050W
- Transactional taxes – particularly experience in a VAT exempt business
- SaaS and payments products
- Tax Incentives
- International M&A due diligence
- International Tax audits
You have :
- 12+ years of experience with substantial experience in International Tax
- CPA or JD
- Big 4 and/or National Law Firm experience
- Expert understanding of U.S. tax rules and exposures – particularly on non-US operations
- International experience relating to ASC 740
- International M&A experience a plus
- A level of comfortability with systems/data mining (Oracle, MySql) a plus
- Strong interpersonal communication, management, and team building skills
- Strong project management, planning, and organization skills, including ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- An upbeat attitude; ability to seek out and implement internal or external best practices
- A level of comfortability to report out on status in realtime. We are a very transparent company with lots of bright and inquisitive minds.
- Expert knowledge of Microsoft Office and financial analytics/modeling
- Ability to explain complex tax issues in a simple, clear and concise manner
- A creative approach to finding solutions while always ensuring compliance
- Unquestionable integrity
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.