Senior Software Engineer, Compliance Engineering
- San Francisco, CA
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
The Compliance Engineering team at Square is responsible for policing the behavior of merchants on our platform to guarantee compliance with the Bank Secrecy Act and Anti-Money Laundering laws, ensure the security of our money transmission licenses, and fulfill financial institution partnership obligations, which are the cornerstone of Square’s ability to do business.
- Builds full stack custom software to identify, investigate, and report on suspected money laundering, terrorism financing, sanctioned activity, and other terms of service violations
- Is responsible for ensuring that merchants using our platform have passed all identity verification requirements required by the laws governing anti-money laundering in each of the countries in which we do business
- Uses machine learning to improve our ability to identify and act on potential Compliance violations
- Work with operational teams to build full stack web applications that optimize the manual review of suspected violations
- Work on high volume, highly available platforms that are crucial to the onboarding process
- Work with machine learning teams to identify merchant violations that threaten our financial institution partnerships and money transmission licenses
- Work with international teams to assure compliance with all international money movement and privacy regulations to enable international expansion
- A strong desire to prevent Square’s platform from being used to facilitate the financing of terrorism, money laundering, or the sale of items that are commonly vectors for fraud
- Experience developing full stack web applications (Java or Ruby is a bonus but not required)
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
- You must deeply enjoy moving quickly, creating a great team culture, and shipping production software.
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.