Data Scientist, Operations
- San Francisco, CA
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
As a Data Scientist at Square, you will lead projects that derive value from our unique, rich, and rapidly growing data. We’re a passionate team of hackers, statisticians, and optimizers who are resourceful in distilling questions, wrangling data, and driving decisions.
As a Data Scientist at Square, you will work with one or both of these teams:
The Compliance team at Square is responsible for policing the behavior of merchants on our platform to guarantee compliance with the Bank Secrecy Act and Anti-Money Laundering laws, ensure the security of our money transmission licenses, and fulfill financial institution partnership obligations, which are the cornerstone of Square’s ability to do business.
You will lead the development of fraud detection algorithms and systems that protect Square and its customers from fraud and financial loss. You will partner with Square’s Compliance team to identify, prioritize, and solve complex problems where analytics and data science will have a significant impact.
The Customer Success team at Square is responsible for making sure a customer’s support experience is as effortless as possible by developing scalable tools and services that help resolve any support issue efficiently while still maintaining a customer’s trust in Square.
As a Data Scientist working on Customer Success you will lead the development of algorithms that predict a customer’s support issue and use that information to help inform our operations team and self-service tools. You will work closely with Square’s Customer Success team, product teams and engineers to identify and prioritize machine learning projects that will have significant impact on our customers’ experience
- Drive cross functional analytics projects from beginning to end: build relationships with partner teams, frame and structure questions, collect and analyze data, as well as summarize and present key insights in support of decision making
- Work with engineers to evangelize data best practices and implement analytics solutions
- Collaborate with business leaders, subject matter experts, and decision makers to develop success criteria and optimize new products, features, policies, and models
- Use your experience in analytics tools and scientific rigor to produce actionable insights
- Uses machine learning to optimize our ability to address Compliance and Support concerns
- Communicate key results to senior management in verbal, visual, and written media
- Develop risk models that enable financial services for our customers
- Help build the next generation of data products at Square
- An advanced degree (M.S., PhD.), preferably in Statistics, Computer Science, Physical Sciences, Economics, or a related technical field
- A consistent track record of performing data analysis using Python (numpy, pandas, scikit-learn, etc.) and SQL
- Experience using statistics and machine learning to solve complex business problems
- The versatility and willingness to learn new technologies on the job
- The ability to clearly communicate complex results to technical and non-technical audiences
- 2+ years industry experience in data-science or analytics
- Familiarity with other data tools such as Hive, Vertica, Tableau, Ruby
- Familiarity with Linux/OS X command line, version control software (git), and general software development
Technologies we use and teach:
- Python (numpy, pandas, sklearn) & R
- MySQL, Vertica, Hive, Redshift
- Machine Learning (e.g. regression, ensemble methods, etc.)
- Statistics (Bayesian methods, experimental design, causal inference)
- Tableau, Looker
- Google Cloud Platform
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.