Director of Engineering - Weebly
- San Francisco, CA
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
Weebly is looking for a Director of Engineering to lead our Mobile and Core team. As the Director of Engineering, you will be working on the company’s award-winning drag and drop website builder and lead the Mobile for iOS and Android team. You will work directly with the Mobile and Core team as well as cross-functional teams within Weebly to craft delightful mobile app experiences that enable customers to run their business on the go.
- Plan, direct and coordinate engineering activities for web-hosting services company.
- Duties include: Evaluate feature requests for new core functionality, ensuring they are compatible with existing functionality and target hardware.
- Hold regular one-on-one meetings with all direct reports to ensure the team is working efficiently and without issue.
- Interview potential candidates for positions, over phone, internet and in person.
- Handle annual review for all direct reports, including promotions, career development and performance improvement activities.
- Work extensively with other department leads to build out the company roadmap.
- Work to resolve any issues that are blocking or otherwise hindering the Engineering process at Weebly.
- Facilitate new and improved processes for engineering.
- Diagnose and repair crucial system component as failures arise.
- Respond to on-call requests in a timely manner to resolve issues in real time.
- Has 10 direct reports.
- Five years of experience working as a Software Engineer, Software Developer, Software Manager or related technical occupation.
- In lieu of five years of experience working as a Software Engineer, Software Developer, Software Manager or related technical occupation, we will also accept a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent foreign degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or a related technical degree and three years of experience working as a Software Engineer, Software Developer, Software Manager or related technical occupation.
- Experience must include: Planning and designing software systems and frameworks in a distributed environment;
- Network protocols spanning the entire OSI Network Model (Focusing on OSI Layer 5, Layer 6, and Layer 7);
- Experience with the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC), Project Management (As related to the SDLC), and SCRUM methodologies;
- Creating scalable, robust, high performance data structures, designing for security, maintainability, testability and reliability and improving performance using algorithmic analysis and tools including debuggers, memory profilers, and performance monitors on complex system level software;
- Performing system software design using W3C and ISO standards(HTML5, ES6, ISO-27001, ISO-639, ISO-8601), memory management, I/O management, and API design;
- Programming, designing and supporting large distributed systems;
- Using debuggers to isolate and fix bugs and performance issues and writing unit and functional tests to ensure complete code coverage; and
- Experience with IO, networking, and object oriented features including inheritance, reflection, and polymorphism.
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.