Senior Frontend Engineer, Developer Tools
- Seattle, WA
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
We are looking for talented front-end engineers to help build the developer portal, application marketplace, and other web properties that support developers building on the Square platform. In this role, you will be responsible for helping craft the developer experience from a front-end, design-driven perspective. You will also be working closely with people across engineering, product, and creative to help develop a world-class experience for our customers that is reliable, fast, responsive, and beautiful.
- Develop seamless web experiences that are clean, pragmatic, and forward-thinking.
- Work closely with product management, design and internal teams to understand needs and improve the customer experience.
- Work with a team of world-class engineers.
- The ability to write clean code with/without the assistance of pre-processors (e.g. Sass/Less, HAML/Slim, CoffeeScript) and libraries (e.g. jQuery, Underscore)
- Exposure to the recently popular JS-app frameworks (e.g. Ember, Angular, React)
- Knowledge of CS fundamentals and code organization.
- Experience testing your code (e.g. RSpec, QUnit, Mocha, Jasmine)
- An understanding of the principles of design, UI, and user experience.
And even better:
- The ability to straddle design, client-side, and server-side development, contributing to every aspect of the product experience
- Experience in or desire to learn Rails and React.
- Experience with responsive web development.
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.