Android Engineer, Cash
- Kitchener, ON, Canada
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
The Cash App is a quick, easy, and free way to send money. The Cash Android team is responsible for the code that makes this work. We care about delivering a carefully designed experience that is fast and secure. Our team strives to maintain a productive environment with shared ownership of our code.
As a member of the Cash Android team, you’ll collaborate with us to:
- Build new features, flows, and experiences
- Solve interesting design problems, working with designers
- Unit/Acceptance test everything
- Collaborate with server engineers to design APIs
- Contribute to a variety of open source projects including persistence libraries like SqlDelight, networking libraries like Okio, Okhttp, Retrofit, and Wire, and the Android Open Source Project
- Define new architectures and approaches to application development
- A bachelor's degree or diploma in computer science, software engineering or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated technical initiative on previous projects
- A strong desire to perform and grow as an Android engineer - previous Android experience not necessary
- Experience making open source contributions
- Technical leadership experience in previous roles
Technologies we use and teach:
- Android development with Kotlin and Java
- Reactive programming with RxJava
- Dependency Injection with Dagger
- Data storage with SqlDelight
- Build systems like gradle, annotation processing, and continuous integration
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.