- San Francisco, CA, USA
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
As a Privacy Engineer at Square, you will build internal products and infrastructure to protect Square’s customers’ privacy. In this role, you will closely collaborate with many teams across Square, including other teams within security, as well as platform engineering, product engineering, data science, and privacy counsel.
You should expect to:
- Design and develop services that support data privacy initiatives and consumer’s privacy rights across Square’s engineering ecosystem
- Derive and apply new principles from the emerging field of privacy engineering to problems at industry scale
- Help define the technological future of data privacy for data science and machine learning services at Square
- Act as a force multiplier for software development by supporting engineering teams to incorporate privacy engineering products in their engineered solutions
- Provide mentorship and reviews for engineering teams working with privacy technologies
- Contribute to monitoring, and stability of our existing tools
Some qualifications you may have:
- 3+ years of software engineering experience
- A high bar for writing quality scalable, robust, and testable code
- Willingness to learn new technologies or languages
- Willingness to cut across new or existing services, infrastructure, or frameworks to achieve privacy goals
- A desire to perform and grow technically as an engineer or engineering leader
- Strong communication skills
As a bonus, you may have experience or interest in:
- Designing novel yet robust security architectures
- Technologies in privacy, such as k-anonymity, differential privacy, or private information retrieval
- Understanding and applying the emerging field of privacy-enhancing technologies and usable privacy
- Explaining complex technical security or privacy concepts clearly
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.