Software Engineer, Square Capital
- San Francisco, CA
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, and helping the ice cream shop pay its employees. And, with Square Capital, we have extended over $2.5 billion in funding to our sellers, helping them manage their cash flow and making it easy to invest in and grow their business. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it, and make it easier for customers to shop and pay at their favorite businesses. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
Squares rapidly growing financing platform, Square Capital, has revolutionized the way businesses and consumers obtain the funding needed to achieve their goals.
Unlike traditional business financing products, Square Capital offers are extended to pre-qualified sellers with no application process, funds are deposited as soon as the next business day, and repayment happens as a fixed percentage of daily card sales. Since the product launched in 2014, Square Capital has extended more than $2.5 billion to over a hundred thousand sellers, and generated a ton of great feedback for future products.
Our growth team is looking for engineers to help discover ways to connect merchants to the capital they need when they need it. On our team you will help identify growth areas in our business, and play a major role in experimenting towards the next product in Capitals core business. Engineers on our team work with marketing, sales, data scientists and product to see projects from ideation through to release and adoption.
As a senior software engineer on Square Capital, you will be responsible for designing, building, and owning the services and infrastructure that power our products. You will lead projects across teams all over capital to build beautiful phone and web apps, and highly available services that form complex distributed systems. If you love delivering beautiful software that improves the lives of millions of consumers and business owners, we want to work with you!
- Work in a cross-disciple environment with engineering, product, data science, marketing and design partners to build new cutting-edge financial services products
- Take scientific and creative approaches to boost our product and customer experience
- Invent new ways for small businesses to explore, apply for and get the financial services they need to grow
- Build systems that collect and maintain customers sensitive data, while holding Square to the highest standards for security and compliance
- Design fault tolerant systems so the team can be brave and move fast, without ever negatively impacting our customers
- 4+ years professional experience in building customer facing large software projects
- 2+ years leading engineering initiatives across teams
- Interest in working full-stack, from optimizing database transactions to building distributed systems and frontend web applications
- Passion for a iterative client-driven approach to building products
- Strong software development skills and computer science fundamentals
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.