Senior Frontend Engineer, Square Capital
- San Francisco, CA
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, and helping the ice cream shop pay its employees. And, with Square Capital, we have extended over $1 billion in funding to our sellers, helping them manage their cashflow and making it easy to invest in and grow their business. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. And make it easier for customers to shop and pay at their favorite businesses. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
Square Capital builds new ways for customers to access credit, including the economically underserved. We started by providing investment loans to small businesses that use Square for credit card payments. We've originated over $2.5 billion in just a few years - and Capital is just getting started.
Our team also built Square Installments, our brand-new consumer financing product. Installments offers monthly payment plans to customers who shop with Square sellers. This makes local goods and services more affordable for buyers, and helps small businesses grow in a way that has been historically reserved for bigger businesses. Our team strives to provide simple, elegant, and reliable financing experiences for small business owners and their customers.
As a frontend engineer on the team, youll be at the forefront of shaping our buyer and seller experiences. You will also be working closely with people across engineering, product, and design to build frontend system and experiences that are modern, clear, responsive and beautiful.
- Develop seamless web experiences that are clean, pragmatic, and forward-thinking
- Develop and maintain well-crafted, reusable UI patterns and components
- Work closely with product management, design and other internal teams to understand customers needs and improve their experience
- Work with a team of world-class engineers
- Contribute to open source communities, especially Ember.js
- Grow as an engineer, while helping those around you
- 2+ years of relevant software engineering experience
- The ability to write clean code with/without the assistance of pre-processors (e.g. Sass/Less, HAML/Slim, CoffeeScript) and libraries (e.g. jQuery, Underscore)
- Exposure to the recently popular JS-app frameworks (e.g. Ember, Angular, React)
- Knowledge of CS fundamentals and code organization
- Experience testing your code
- An understanding of the principles of design, UI, and user experience.
Technologies we use and teach:
- Component-based application development with Ember.js
- Modern tooling for the frontend codebase: Codemods, linters, yarn, and npm
- Full-stack opportunities with services in Ruby on Rails
- …and much, much more - Square is a great place to learn all kinds of technology!
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.