Software Engineer, Restaurants
- New York, NY
We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. When everyone has room to grow. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
The Restaurants team at Square is reimagining the hospitality industry to free todays restaurants from crippling, archaic software and inefficient workflows. We're diners, fans, and admirers of the people working in the food and drink business and we want to do our part to help them succeed.
We are taking a fresh look at this industry and building a modern product ecosystem that capitalizes on the themes of efficiency, automation, and reliability which are becoming the cornerstones of the new breed of hospitality tools. In the dining room, Square sees the Point of Sale becoming increasingly mobile and moving to the diner, while restaurants realize new revenue streams that both complement and compete with their front of house businesses. We're addressing the needs of restaurants in this dynamic landscape with intuitive yet sophisticated iOS, Android, and Web-based software that integrates seamlessly with our hardware, all backed by reliable services.
As a software engineer on the Restaurants team, you will be responsible for helping to build and maintain products that servers, chefs, and managers use to run their restaurant during service and manage day-to-day operations.
Our products are backed by a range of services written in Java, Go, and Ruby. Some are specific to Square for Restaurants and directly managed by our team, many are part of the powerful Square platform and their caretakers are our friends on other teams. We work across them all, working closely with our partners and building directly into the platform when needed.
What you will learn and do
- You'll design and build services that directly power beautiful, unique products which help anyone to run a restaurant
- Youll ship reliable software through continuous integration, test automation, and in-depth code reviews
- You'll envision new products and features that are inspired, considered, and magical
- You'll find simple, elegant solutions to hard problems
- You'll work closely and collaboratively with experienced designers, product managers, and engineers; both on our team and with our friends on other teams.
- Youll grow as an engineer, and as you do youll lift others around you.
What you bring to the team and to Square
- Innate curiosity and a desire to build beautiful, sophisticated, intuitive products for the food and drink service industry
- Motivation to design and build reliable, elegant services and systems
- Real empathy for your audience working in restaurants, and for your colleagues at Square
- A collaborative approach to designing and building systems that span teams, organizations, and offices and strengthen Square as a whole while keeping a close eye on product needs and timelines
- Eagerness to share your own ideas, and openness to those of others
- Strong programming and software development skills
- Experience developing services in Java, Go, or Ruby
- Experience shipping and improving products
Were looking for someone with a bachelors degree in computer science (or an equivalent degree), and 5 or more years of professional software development experience.
Technologies we use and teach:
- Service implementation in Java, Go, and Ruby
- Client APIs, server-to-server RPC, Protocol Buffers
- An array of database technologies including MySQL and Redis
- Cloud service infrastructure like Google Cloud Platform and Amazon Web Services
- Metrics, monitoring, and alerting with a variety of internal and external tools
- And much, much more. Square is a great place to learn all kinds of technology!
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.