Android Engineer, Restaurants
- New York, NY, USA
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
The Restaurants team at Square is reimagining the hospitality industry to free today’s restaurants from crippling, archaic software and inefficient workflows. We’re diners, fans, and admirers of the people working in the food and drink business and we want to do our part to help them succeed.
We are taking a fresh look at this industry and building a modern product ecosystem that capitalizes on the themes of efficiency, automation, and reliability – which are becoming the cornerstones of the new breed of hospitality tools. In the dining room, Square sees the Point of Sale becoming increasingly mobile and moving to the diner, while restaurants realize new revenue streams that both complement and compete with their front of house businesses. We’re addressing the needs of restaurants in this dynamic landscape with intuitive yet sophisticated iOS, Android, and Web-based software that integrates seamlessly with our hardware, all backed by reliable services.
As a software engineer on the Restaurants team, you will be responsible for helping to build and maintain products that servers, chefs, and managers use to run their restaurant during service and manage day-to-day operations.
We are off to a strong start with our iOS and Web-based products, and our customers and other restaurants we talk to have additional needs that we believe are best met on Android. We are fans of the platform and excited to build those products, and we are looking for inspired and skillful engineers to join us.
- You’ll join a couple of friendly, creative, dedicated people already working to build Restaurant products on Android, within the still small Square for Restaurants team.
- You'll help create beautiful, unique products which help anyone to run a restaurant
- You’ll ship reliable software through continuous integration, test automation, and in-depth code reviews
- You'll envision new products and features that are inspired, considered, and magical
- You'll find simple, elegant solutions to hard problems
- You'll work closely and collaboratively with experienced designers, product managers, and engineers; both on our team and with our friends on other teams.
- You’ll grow as an engineer, and as you do you’ll lift others around you.
- Innate curiosity and a desire to build beautiful, sophisticated, intuitive products for the food and drink service industry
- Motivation to design and build reliable, elegant apps and products
- Real empathy for your audience working in restaurants, and for your colleagues at Square
- A collaborative approach to designing and building apps with your teammates and with other teams and offices
- Eagerness to share your own ideas, and openness to those of others
- Strong programming and software development skills
- Some experience developing Android applications, or strong motivation to learn
- Some experience shipping and improving products
We’re looking for someone with a bachelor’s degree in computer science (or an equivalent degree), and 2-5 years of professional software development experience (preferably in Java and/or Kotlin).
Technologies we use and teach:
- Android development with Java and Kotlin
- Square’s open-source libraries for Android
- Reactive development with RxJava
- Server APIs with Retrofit and Protocol Buffers
- Metrics, monitoring, and alerting with a variety of internal and external tools
- And much, much more. Square is a great place to learn all kinds of technology!
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.