Software Development Manager, Restaurants
- New York, NY
We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. When everyone has room to grow. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
The Restaurants team at Square is reimagining the hospitality industry to free today’s restaurants from crippling, archaic software and inefficient workflows. We’re diners, fans, and admirers of the people working in the food and drink business and we want to do our part to help them succeed.
We are taking a fresh look at this industry and building a modern product ecosystem that capitalizes on the themes of efficiency, automation, and reliability – which are becoming the cornerstones of the new breed of hospitality tools. In the dining room, Square sees the Point of Sale becoming increasingly mobile and moving to the diner, while restaurants realize new revenue streams that both complement and compete with their front of house businesses. We’re addressing the needs of restaurants in this dynamic landscape with intuitive yet sophisticated iOS, Android, and Web-based software that integrates seamlessly with our hardware, all backed by reliable services.
The flagship Square for Restaurants product is our powerful, fast POS for iPad. Our POS is a young product making waves in the industry, and we've built an exciting roadmap of new features and iterations based on feedback from restaurants since launch. We're also making investments on iOS beyond the POS, as we work towards the full ecosystem of tools that our customers need. The team you'll lead is responsible for the Restaurant Point of Sale iOS app, integrations like Caviar, and more. This team's work skews heavily toward iOS and backend services, but sometimes includes building in our web-based Dashboard.
As an Engineering Manager on the Restaurants team, you will be responsible for driving technical direction, managing product goals, contributing to product strategy, and growing and developing your team. You will work with leaders across the company and collaborate with world class product managers and designers. Most importantly, you'll do it all in service of our customers in the restaurant business.
What you will learn and do
- You'll lead your team in creating beautiful, unique products which allow anyone to run a restaurant
- You'll own the success of your team's product and deliver results in a timely manner
- You'll build systems, services, and product features across multiple platforms that have immediate impact for restaurants
- You'll grow the talented engineers on your team through delegation, challenge, support, and mentorship.
- You'll leverage your technical expertise to coach and guide your team, and to constantly raise the bar for them.
- You'll envision new products and features that are inspired, considered, and magical
- You'll work closely and collaboratively with experienced designers, product managers, and engineers; both on our team and with our friends on other teams.
- You'll grow as a manager and as an engineer, and lift those around you as you do.
What you bring to your team and to Square
- Innate curiosity and a desire to build beautiful, sophisticated, intuitive products for the food and drink service industry
- Experience leading, managing, and building a team of talented software engineers
- A strong sense of ownership and urgency
- A passion for mentoring engineers and teaching colleagues
- Motivation to ship reliable, elegant apps and products
- Real empathy for your audience working in restaurants, and for your colleagues at Square
- Eagerness to share your own ideas, and openness to those of others
- Effective collaboration with co-workers on other teams and in other locations.
We’re looking for someone with a bachelor’s degree in computer science (or an equivalent degree), and 8 or more years of professional software development experience.
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.