- New York, NY
We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. When everyone has room to grow. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
Square New York is looking for a Sr. Designer to join our Seller Marketing Design (“SMD”) team. The SMD team is responsible for marketing and advertising Square’s eco-system of products to our sellers. You will collaborate with our various product teams, including PMs, PMMs, Product Designers and Engineers to craft smart marketing solutions. SMD outputs work applying the latest emerging platforms, covering web and mobile experiences, UX/UI, product development, visual design, prototyping, experiential installations, photography, film and animation.
SMD needs a doer who is excited to take on a crucial, hands-on role in understanding the underlying strategy in a project and can translate it into great design experiences. We expect pixel perfection, persistence and proactive to make projects shine through their life cycles.
Our designers are a central part of a team of planners, art directors, designers, copywriters, media/pr strategists, and engineers. In this role, you will be doing everything from designing web pages, UX/UI design, digital service design, design experiential installations and even good old print output. Your focus will always be on how everything we create looks and feels amazing. For us, design isn’t static; it moves, talks, sings and vibrates. You will need to think in three dimensions; static, print, moving animations and how people interact with your design.
Sr. Designers within SMD are strategic, detail-oriented, and generalists, who bring a deep understanding across visual design, user experience, user interface design, branding - and sometimes coding. In this role, you’ll be working with a variety of verticals within Square’s product lineup, which requires deep collaboration, rapid prototyping and an open feedback cycle.
Examples of tasks
- Craft graphic elements, mood boards, assets, and visual treatments that adapt and flow with responsive design systems
- Partner with front-end engineers in creating HTML and CSS-friendly designs
- Produce brand standards, templates and style guides for creating interactive campaigns
- Create video & motion graphics style frames, exhibition graphics, interface design, visualization, presentation design, information graphics, branding and print graphics
- Contribute to a team that includes designers, producers, product strategists, copywriters and engineers; and ensure that all interactive graphics and related design are flawless
- You may also co-direct photo shoots and design physical installations
- Minimum 2-4+ years of industry experience
- Animation/motion graphics knowledge in software such as After Effects or Cinema 4D
- Expert in Photoshop, Illustrator and Sketch / Figma
- Expert in a prototyping tool such as Framer, Flinto or Origami
- Can execute multiple styles of design and illustration
- Great typography skills
- Can lead IA / wireframe / design processes
- Best practices knowledge in usability and UX
- An understanding of the opportunities and limitations of the modern web
- Good communication skills both in writing and speech
- A problem solving attitude
- Design for identity collateral, brochures
- HTML/CSS knowledge
- Photography / videography skills
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.