Product Designer, Developer Platform
- San Francisco, CA
We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. When everyone has room to grow. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
***For consideration, please submit a link to your portfolio***
As a designer for Squares Developer Platform you will have a high impact on the future of Square as you help to expand the reach of Squares core mission by empowering developers to build custom solutions on top of Square as a platform. The Developer Platform team spans developer experience & documentation, developer focused products (like the new In-App Payments SDK), and our App Marketplace connecting sellers with developer built applications. You will be critical as our team shifts Square from a product company to a platform company.
The breadth of this role will span:
- The developer onboarding experience
- Design systems for presenting developer tools and capabilities
- Using design to create best-in-class developer products & solutions that make it easy as possible to build on Squares platform
- Building a deep understanding of how all Square services work together as an ecosystem
- Tools, content, best practices and design guidelines to help third party developers find success on the platform
- Our App Marketplace where millions of merchants can choose from app integrations to help run their businesses
- Working across all these experiences to build a consistent, connected, and holistic user experience
- A minimum of 4 years of relevant experience
- Experience turning complex problems into simple and engaging customer experiences for the web, iPad, iPhone, and Android
- Expertise in developing information architecture, interaction models, customer flows, schematics, and visual design for products and services
- The ability to communicate interactions rapidly at varying levels of resolution
- Demonstrated comfort with an iterative design process that includes accepting and acting on feedback and constructive criticism
- Innate curiosity and a desire to focus on the unique needs of developers
- Excellent collaboration skills
- Experience conducting customer research ranging from insight protocols to usability tests
- Background developing interaction prototypes
- Ability to own some front end development in addition to design, and comfort collaboratively with engineering in a hands on manner.
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.