Brand Copywriter for Podcasts, Cash App
- New York, NY
Cash App is the fastest growing financial brand in the world. Built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to the world’s most dynamic money app.
Loved by customers and by pop culture, we’ve held the #1 spot in finance on the App Store for almost two years. We’ve even stolen the #1 overall spot from Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and Snapchat.
Headquartered in SF with offices in New York, St. Louis, Melbourne, Atlanta, and Kitchener Waterloo, Cash App is bringing a better way to send, spend, and save to anyone who has ever sought an alternative to today’s banking system.
Cash App is looking for a mid-to-senior level creative copywriter to join our Brand team’s growing sponsored content wing. If that doesn’t excite you, we understand. Sponsorship content for podcasts, and for broadcast media in general, is usually dominated by tedious scripts full of product features that most people tune out in 3 seconds.
However, we’re in a unique position to mess with convention.
Cash App’s brand is inane, fun, and above all, daring. And it’s not just creatives who see it this way. From the top down, we were built to be bold. We see nothing wrong with paying podcast partners to repeat “Cash App” for 60 seconds. Two of our most popular podcast partners recently walked their massive audience through 90 seconds of guided meditation. Another partner, instead of firing off a list of value props, recently fired off a list of his ten favorite foods.
We are looking for someone who’s ready to take one of advertising’s oldest mediums and reinvent it for modern audiences. Our partners are some of the biggest podcasters in the business. If you’re meant for this position, you probably know who we’re talking about.
You will collaborate with our Copy Lead (who’s alright), Brand Director (who’s awesome), and Podcast Lead (who lives for podcasting despite not having a podcast).
Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Generate at least one creative podcast script per week for each podcast we sponsor
- Work in a fast-paced environment where your copy appears before millions each week
- Keep up with what is happening on the podcasts we sponsor (yup, listening to podcasts is part of the job)
- Collaborate with the Copy Lead and Podcast Lead to develop a voice and a strategy for each podcast
- Stay aware of what’s happening throughout the Cash App org and integrate product releases into copy when appropriate
- Get weird
- Avid podcast listener with broad knowledge of pop culture and current events
- Expertise within the G Suite of products with an emphasis on Docs, Sheets, and Slides
- Experience editing or proofreading other writers’ copy
- The ability to endlessly iterate on a single idea, whether it’s one sentence or a 250-word script
- Minimum of 3–4 years of experience writing creative copy for an agency or tech company
- 4-year degree in copywriting for advertising design, journalism, or English is preferred but not required
- A portfolio of personal writing or at least one ambitious copy-oriented side project
- The ability to meet multiple very tight deadlines
- Chill work environment
- Cool drinks and snacks but everybody has those now
- Expensable lunches
- Many of New York’s best restaurants within walking distance
- Work one elevator ride away from the Gucci store
- Watch the snow fall through really big windows
- A few loose boxes of sugary cereal floating somewhere around Ken’s desk
This position reports to the Copy Lead
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.