Software Engineer, Retail
- New York, NY
We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. When everyone has room to grow. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
Retailers have struggled too long with clunky, outdated and disconnected tools. While mammoth Retail and E-tail forces are looking to disrupt smaller merchants, we are empowering those merchants with simple and elegant solutions to complex problems, like predictive analytics and fluid, omni-channel capabilities to meet the customer wherever they are - to always make the sale. Based in New York City, we are one of the newest launched products at Square. We are a lean team, benefitting from the resources of the larger organization while having lots of room to focus and innovate. We are relentlessly customer focused, and iterate quickly using a build-measure-learn approach.
- Build, test, and ship end-to-end features in a large microservice architecture and sophisticated web applications;
- Nimbly develop software across several platforms, frameworks, and programming languages;
- Work with a world-class team of experienced and dedicated engineers and designers;
- Embed with partner teams to extend Square's platform for the benefit of retail sellers;
- Deliver features to our growing base of subscribers, shipped at a rapid cadence; and
- Empower our sellers with the tools they need to compete with the biggest retailers.
- 2+ years of full-stack development experience, including web applications, and an excellent command of engineering fundamentals
- An academic attitude towards software development practices
- Unwavering commitment to customer experience and product quality
- Eagerness to share your own ideas, and openness to those of others
Technologies we use and teach:
- Go, Java, and Ruby on Rails
- gRPC, Protocol Buffers, and Microservice Architecture
- MySQL and Elasticsearch
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.