Software Engineer, Ruby on Rails
- San Francisco, CA
Caviar is changing the way businesses and consumers order food from restaurants. We believe that everyone should have access to the best eateries in their city without any hassles. Want your favorite burger joint, but hate the traffic and long lines? We're a team of passionate foodies solving that exact problem for your home and office. At Caviar, we believe in an environment that allows you to be creative and go beyond the call of duty. We're looking for exceptionally talented individuals who want to learn and grow with the company. Each and every day counts - you'll make a direct impact to the business starting from Day 1.
What does the team do?
Caviar delivers delicious food to diners, with exceptional service and an effortless experience. Our team delivers this experience to companies; to office managers and hungry people at work. Our main products are catering and group-ordering.
We are a small team but we have a large impact on Caviar’s business. Our product drives high-margin orders to restaurants, which makes Caviar a more attractive partner to restaurants. On top of this, these orders make-up a significant part of Caviar's revenue and profit.
Many of the problems we solve are very different to the consumer-side of Caviar. We own these experiences that our customers, restaurants and Catering Captains rely on daily. This means that we have a wide-range of projects to work on.
We take a product-oriented approach to development. We have a dedicated PM and designer who we collaborate with daily. We don’t subscribe to a particular agile approach, but use agile principles as a guide.
What you will be doing:
- Own and develop new features that improve the end-to-end experience for our diners and couriers.
- Creatively solve tough technical challenges, both algorithmic and architectural.
- Write concise code and sensible tests.
- Design large-scale systems that keep things running smoothly.
- Work closely with product managers to build the best product.
- Have the opportunity to explore and build features across the entire technical stack, from the database all the way to the clients.
- Work closely with product managers, designers, and internal teams to understand customer needs.
- Leading by example to other members of the team
- Get a balanced, supportive, fun working environment, and career path.
- Make hungry people happy.
- 5+ years of software engineering experience.
- Expertise in at least one object-oriented language, and associated web framework. Don't worry about which one—we'll train you in Ruby (and Rails).
- Strong knowledge of CS fundamentals and code organization.
Technologies we use and teach
- Frameworks: Rails, Ember, React, Cordova
- AWS, Docker, Heroku
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.