Product Copywriter, Cash App
- New York, NY, USA
Cash App is the fastest growing financial brand in the world. Built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to the world’s most dynamic money app.
Loved by customers and by pop culture, we’ve held the #1 spot in finance on the App Store for almost two years. We’ve even stolen the #1 overall spot from Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and Snapchat.
Headquartered in SF with offices in New York, St. Louis, Melbourne, Atlanta, and Kitchener Waterloo, Cash App is bringing a better way to send, spend, and save to anyone who has ever sought an alternative to today’s banking system.
There are three types of copywriters. While we don’t know for sure what the other two are, we do suspect that at least one writes interface copy.
We’re looking for a UX/UI product copywriter with experience writing for interfaces, buttons, modals, pop-ups, product status updates, outage messages, and so on. As our product grows, so does the need for a copywriter who knows the difference between a tap and a push.
Our ideal candidate has worked alongside product and design teams at other consumer-focused tech organizations, understands that instincts drive interaction, is fluent in the language of interactive design, has an eye for concision, and knows that personality has a role to play in product copy.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Develop a language system for current and future Cash App releases
- Collaborate with product designers and managers of current and future products to establish clear and effective messaging
- Create an encyclopedia of potential error messages that can easily be dropped in by other team members in case of an outage
- Author a style guide that establishes a canonical Cash App product vocabulary
- Partner with the Support Ecosystem Copywriter to synchronize copy between disciplines
- Fluency in UI and UX design
- Able to update and review copy within code
- Competent in Figma, Sketch, and the Adobe Creative Suite
- Familiarity with how products are developed for desktop and mobile devices
- Expertise within the G Suite of products with emphasis on Docs, Sheets, and Slides
- Experience editing or proofreading other writers’ copy
- The ability to endlessly iterate on a single idea, whether it’s one sentence or a 250-word script
- Knowledge of what’s happening in the world of product design
- Minimum of 3–4 years of experience writing for an agency or tech company’s brand team
- 4-year degree in copywriting for advertising design, journalism, or English is preferred but not required
- A portfolio of personal writing or at least one ambitious copy-oriented side project
- The ability to meet multiple very tight deadlines
- Experience working within multi-language copy systems a plus
- Cool drinks and snacks but everybody has those now
- Collaborate with Dan Shin
- Work on a highly collaborative design-led product
- Expensable lunches
- Many of New York’s best restaurants within walking distance
- Work in New York’s most fashionable neighborhood
- Watch snow fall through really big windows
- A few loose boxes of sugary cereal floating somewhere around Ken’s desk
This position reports to the Copy Lead
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.