Creative Lead, Design Studio ECommerce
- San Francisco, CA
Weebly was acquired by Square in May 2018. Founded in 2007, Weebly is a complete platform that allows anyone to start and grow an online business with curated website templates, powerful e-commerce and integrated marketing. More than 40 million entrepreneurs around the world use Weebly to grow their customer base, fuel sales and market their idea. Designed for any entrepreneur who wants to reach a global audience, Weebly gives everyone the freedom to create a high quality site and store that works brilliantly across any device. Weebly offers a range of pricing options, including free and premium consumer plans, as well as enterprise offerings and is consistently the highest rated website building mobile app in the App Store and Google Play.
***For consideration, please submit a link to your portfolio***
We are looking for a Director-level Creative Lead for Square Ecommerce. Design Studio is a new team that is focused on serving and onboarding SMB to Mid-Market clients to Square's Ecommerce solutions. As the Creative Lead, youll have influence over all aspects of client relations, creative process, you will lead and grow a team of world-class designers, and you will have the opportunity to work within the support of Squares established and iconic brand while elevating our Ecommerce websites.
Design has been central to our product and brand from the very beginning: we employ design thinking to build easy-to-use tools that help our merchants better run their businesses. As the Creative Lead for Design Studio, youll be leading an internal design agency, directing and contributing to visual and interaction design, building and managing a team of website designers, and collaborating with other team discipline Leads.
The breadth of this role will span:
- Building relationships with internal team (Design, Marketing, Account Management, CSA, Business Development)
- Managing a pipeline of potential clients from the Square customer ecosystem
- Sourcing, negotiating and closing deals that Design Studio team then executes
- Managing projects from start to finish, as the ultimate owner of the entire process (from tracking hours to presenting to client)
- Capturing appropriate data (hours, overages, contract spend) and be able to present results to leadership
- Managing Design Studio's budget and recruiting efforts
- Significant experience as a first-line manager, managing medium-large sized teams of designers across a range of skills and levels and remote contractors
- Process Orientation - ability to put in place and iterate upon a set of common processes across team (and areas of influence) that drive predictability of delivery and accountability; high intentionality about consistency vs. intentional inconsistency of process.
- Proven, reference-checkable ability to hire and build teams - without an over-reliance on Recruiting. Tested with qualitative questions around org growth over time, philosophy around closing candidates, detailed breakdown of roles/responsibilities vis a vis Recruiting, hiring mistakes etc.
- Ability to be hands-on from a design decision-making standpoint.
- Experience building complex website structure, with a specific focus on Ecommerce
- Passion for technology and building. Do not have to be hands-on pushing pixels, but we should be interview-test how closely they follow the latest technologies and tools available to Designers and how/if they stay current (e.g. how they flex creative muscles through passion projects, etc.)
- Proven experience shipping Ecommerce websites with material customer impact. Also has worked in a design agency environment.
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.