Software Engineering Manager, Capital Underwriting
- San Francisco, CA
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, and helping the ice cream shop pay its employees. And, with Square Capital, we have extended over $1 billion in funding to our sellers, helping them manage their cashflow and making it easy to invest in and grow their business. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. And make it easier for customers to shop and pay at their favorite businesses. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
Square's expanding financing platform, Square Capital, has revolutionized the way businesses and consumers obtain the funding needed to achieve their goals.
Unlike traditional business financing products, Square Capital offers are extended to pre-qualified sellers with no application process, their funds are deposited as soon as the next business day, and repayment happens as a fixed percentage of daily card sales. Since the product launched in 2014, Square Capital has extended more than $4.5 billion to over a hundred thousand sellers.
And we are just getting started. With Square Installments, we are empowering sellers to offer monthly installment plans, so that their customers can access goods and services they value, but cannot or do not want to pay for immediately. On Capital Partnerships, we’re continuing to grow Capital by expanding access to sellers outside of the Square platform.
As the Engineering Manager for the Underwriting Platform Team on Square Capital, you will build and empower the team that handles the services and infrastructure that power credit review and offer generation for all of our products. Partnering with Product, Data, and Analyst teams, you will operate on the critical path of all our products on Capital and beyond, and will have the chance to help improve the future of Square at large.
- Lead and empower a world-class team of engineers by hiring remarkable talent, coaching and developing your team, fostering engineering decision-making, and applying your technical expertise to maintain a high bar
- Help set broad vision, influence engineering and strategy, and establish practices to address customer needs
- Oversee the success of your team's projects and achieve quantifiable results on time
- Report into a Senior Manager on the team and participate in essential technical, design, and product discussions with leaders across the organization
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical, working experience (8+ years preferred)
- 2+ years managing engineering teams
- Experience collaborating with product managers, data analysts, and other engineering and cross-functional leaders
- Excellent software engineering experience and the ability to provide technical mentorship and guidance
- Interest in working on a product platform-focused team building tools and services for internal and external customers
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.