Software Engineer, New Grad (Platform Engineering)
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
Square's goal is to carry every transaction. Our customers expect from us the highest levels of precision, predictability, and reliability. Production Engineering builds the physical and logical infrastructure that our applications sit on; this must be a solid base that our server-side software engineers can rely on to build highly available software.
As a team, we value correctness, efficiency, and automation. We measure and monitor everything, and have a culture of continuous reflection and improvement. We aim to eliminate friction for our software engineers in production and believe that no project should be delayed due to lack of reliable infrastructure. We believe that a well designed production environment can be beautiful. We're looking for engineers who share our values, particularly those who have experience building, monitoring, and maintaining high-volume, low-latency, distributed transnational platforms.
- Monitor: Designing, implementing, and using a common platform to monitor system-level and application-level trends. Predicting the future with past data.
- Automate: Creating a private cloud and supporting services with an eye toward repeatability, simplicity, and correctness.
- Ensure Reliability: Keeping the site available no matter what happens through good design, solid implementation, performance tuning, and capacity planning.
- Add Locality: Adding additional data centers and points of presence around the world for increased performance and reliability.
- Improve Networking: Architecting a globally available platform that meets Square's ideals of simplicity, reliability, and elegance.
- Improve Security: Working with the Security team to ensure that every aspect of Square's infrastructure complies with the highest standards for security and compliance.
- Create our private cloud.
- Design and implement improvements to our monitoring system.
- Make our build and deployment system more delightful.
- Build and refine our configuration management system.
- Create an infrastructure that makes it easy for Square engineers to build high-availability systems.
Technologies We Use
Java, Ruby, and Go
MySQL, Redis, ElasticSearch
Kafka, ZooKeeper, Snowflake
Linux, Docker, Kubernetes, GCP, AWS
- Pursuing a degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Math or a related technical field, graduating between December 2018 and August 2019.
- Programming experience in one or more object-oriented languages, including Ruby, Go or Java.
- Experience building, operating and maintaining low-latency, highly reliable services.
- Familiarity with large scale data ingestion into BigQuery or Redshift.
- Familiarity managing large-scale cloud services and data pipelines on Google Cloud Platform or Amazon Web Services.
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.