Data Scientist, Cash App
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs
Cash App is the fastest growing financial brand in the world. Built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic money app with over 15 million active monthly users.
Loved by customers and by pop culture, we’ve held the #1 spot in finance on the App Store for almost two years, and our social media posts see more engagement in a day than most financial brands see in a year.
With major offices in San Francisco, New York, St. Louis, Portland, Kitchener-Waterloo, and Melbourne, Cash App is bringing a better way to send, spend, and save to anyone who has ever sought an alternative to today’s banking system.
We are looking for data scientists to join Square and help build Cash App, the fastest growing financial app in the world. Our mission is to make banking and financial services accessible to the underserved and unbanked. We move quickly, make incremental changes, and deploy to production every day.
As a data scientist at Square, you will work alongside product engineering teams to unlock the potential in our large and unique data by building machine learning models that are used to detect fraud, predict consumer credit, automatically infer responses to inbound customer inquiries, understand and forecast key customer behaviors, surface product recommendations, and much more. You will contribute directly to researching and training machine learning models using techniques such as gradient boosted trees and deep learning.
- Identify opportunities where machine learning can have an impact across the entire Cash App
- Research, prototype, and productionize statistical models using state-of-the-art techniques
- Work closely with product managers, engineers, and designers on machine learning applications for our rapidly growing customer base
- Help build the next generation of data products in Cash App
- A graduate degree in machine learning, computer science, artificial intelligence, applied mathematics, statistics, physics, or a related technical field.
- 1-2 years of relevant industry experience
- Experience applying statistics and machine learning to creatively solve complex business problems
- An appreciation for the connection between the software you build and the experience it delivers to customers
- Technical initiative and a desire to perform and grow as a scientist and/or engineer
Technologies we use and teach
- Python (numpy, pandas, sklearn, xgboost, TensorFlow, etc.), Java
- MySQL, Snowflake, GCP, AWS, Tableau
Cash App treats all employees and job applicants equally. Every decision is based on merit, qualifications, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with each office’s corresponding state and city guidelines.