Product Designer, Payments
- San Francisco, CA
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs
We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. When everyone has room to grow. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
The payments team enables Square to move money by creating products that help sellers take payments and manage their money, as well as building infrastructure and working with external partners. We find the best ways to move money across different networks and countries in a way that is cost-effective, available, scalable, secure, and forward-looking. The Payments team is one of the most essential teams at Square by ensuring sellers can easily onboard onto Square, take payments, spend their money using Square Card, and instantly deposit money to their bank account. The Payments team is the arbiter for some of the primary acquisition channels at Square and is responsible for a large portion of Squares revenue.
As a Product Designer on the Payments team, you will be working on products that impact millions of sellers by designing core experiences within Square apps, including the onboarding flows, first time payments tutorials, and payments experiences including the Payments Terminal (calculator) and new methods customers will use to pay sellers. Designers will be expected to lead design for complex end-to-end flows within native apps and web experiences for desktop and mobile. Designers will work closely with their cross-functional team, Sr. Designers on the team, and report to the Design Lead of Payments.
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant experience
- Experience turning complex problems into simple and engaging customer experiences for the web, iPad, iPhone, and Android
- Expertise in developing information architecture, interaction models, customer flows, schematics, and visual design for products and services
- The ability to communicate interactions rapidly at varying levels of resolution
- Demonstrated comfort with an iterative design process that includes accepting and acting on feedback and constructive criticism
- Experience designing forward-looking innovative or north star products and ideas
- Excellent collaboration skills
- Experience running design sprints or similar methodologies
- Experience conducting customer research ranging from insight protocols to usability tests
- Background developing interaction prototypes
- Experience with motion design and related software
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.