Software Engineer, Risk Product
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs
We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. When everyone has room to grow. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
A payment dispute is the right given to a cardholder to challenge a payment they feel is unauthorized or illegitimate. There are good reasons for them, but they are some of the most painful experiences that small business owners face, no matter who they use to process their payments. Imagine running your business smoothly for months before being hit by a scammer or a unsatisfied customer! You’re now faced with spending time and money navigating a months-long arbitration process, and in the end you may discover that you’re on the hook, even if it wasn’t your fault.
We’re here to help. We are building products and user experiences to serve our merchants and make this process as painless as possible, or even to avoid it entirely! We have the business expertise to know what upfront information leads to winning more disputes for our customers --- and with direct impact to our own bottom line, we’re incentivized and ready to go.
- Design and build great user experiences in both external and internal web and mobile applications
- Work cross-functionally with our product, design, analytics, data science, and operations teams to develop new features and improve existing processes
- Build systems that manage customers’ sensitive data and hold Square to the highest standards for security and compliance
- See the big picture to design fault-tolerant systems so the team can be brave, move fast, and break things, without ever showing a negative impact on customers
- Work on tools and infrastructure to help Square and its customers fight and win disputes!
- 2+ years industry experience
- Passion for building products that are beautiful outside and inside – from their user experience to their robust and elegant design
- Data and metrics-oriented mindset: you want your work to be measurable and impactful
- Customer empathy: you understand your customers’ needs and requirements
And even better:
- A fondness for pair programming
- Experience with Ember, Android, or iOS development
- Technologies we use and teach:
- Ruby on Rails
- Protocol Buffers
- Android (Kotlin) and iOS (Objective-C and Swift)
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.