Global Head of Risk Operations
- San Francisco, CA
We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. When everyone has room to grow. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
Risk Management is at the very core of Square. Risk management embodies the decision making and strategic direction that will shape the future of Square. The Global Head of Risk Operations will ensure that the company appropriately prioritizes, manages and monitors risk by leading several departments, including Fraud Operations, Underwriting Operations, Disputes & Chargebacks Operations, Collections & Recovery.
It will be integral that this leader partner with Business, Finance and Technology teams across the company in order to define risk and create risk management systems, processes and have significant input into products that serve the continued growth of the company. This key leader will determine how to measure and adapt to risk. In addition, the Risk Operations Lead will influence stakeholders on which risks to pass thru to investors, which risks to avoid or hedge and which risks to seek out.
- Oversee a multi location team that includes: Fraud, Underwriting, and Disputes Operations. In addition, this key leader will work closely with Data Science, Analytics, Product, and Engineering teams.
- Appropriately address a broad spectrum of risk, including enterprise risk, fraud risk, credit risk and macro risk.
- Ensure the merchant onboarding and continuing experience is frictionless and “easy”. It will be important that this executive be customer centric and focused on contributing to industry leading customer satisfaction and NPS scores.
- Seek out trends in risk management and their applicability to the Square business model. In addition, stay current on innovative business and technology trends in payments and lending in order to advise senior leadership on operational risk initiatives.
- Build and scale solutions to risk and fraud, working closely with the technical teams to apply machine learning and other technological solutions.
- Be a core member of an internal working group that defines the technology and feature roadmap for risk products and reporting systems and incorporate new technological advancements.
- Ability to think about risk broadly and develop effective risk & fraud prevention solutions that meet business objectives.
- Proven ability to facilitate and influence operational risk discussions with senior business leaders.
- Ideally have managed a broad set of risk types including: fraud, credit and financial.
- Extensive experience leading risk management strategy and operations, overseeing risk and compliance teams, directing technology selection, and/or developing systems and applications.
- Ideally worked in a technology environment with rapid growth, frequent new product releases and expansion into new markets.
- Led high performing teams and mentored future leaders.
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.