Head of Payments Partnerships & Industry Relations, Europe
- Dublin, Ireland
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy, so we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started in San Francisco in 2009 with a little white credit card reader and we now serve millions of businesses around the world. We came to the UK in 2017, our fifth global market, and provide hardware and software solutions that help sellers of all sizes start, run and grow their business. We’re empowering SMEs across the UK to take card payments wherever their customers are - in person, by invoice, over the phone or online. Our Square Reader and Square Stand help our sellers accept Chip & PIN and Contactless payments quickly, easily and affordably. Our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re shortening the distance between having an idea and making a living from it—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
Squares Payments is responsible for every euro that moves through our bank partners, card networks, and Square's internal platforms and systems. The Payments team's mission is to make our customers’ experience across taking payments, closing the sale, and getting paid "remarkable", efficient, and cost effective. To that objective, Square must operate against a complex backdrop of industry partners to encourage flexibility, new standards, and openness to Square's innovation, products and services. The Payments team plays an integral role in crafting a diverse spectrum of solutions and capabilities for our customers, overseeing foundational industry and regulatory relationships and also the daily operations for incoming and outgoing payments.
This role will be key to the success of Square's market expansion strategy. They will be foundational to the development and expansion of Square’s products in Europe, including support for their colleagues across Business Development, Finance, Compliance, Risk, Counsel, Marketing, Operations, Product, Product Marketing, and Sales. They will be responsible for key industry relationship oversight and coverage, executing on our global payments strategy and leading our Go To Market programs. Focus of the role will be managing our relationship roadmap with acquirers, banks, card networks and industry bodies operating across the region. The position will be important to Squares international expansion and strategic industry relationship engagement strategy, representing Square's European business to regulators and industry influencers foundational to Square's success. The role requires exceptional cross-functional collaboration, leadership, knowledge of global and local markets, and extensive experience representing digital payments products. The role requires experience in commercial partnerships, payments operations, and supporting new product and service expansion into new markets against a backdrop of complex ecosystem role players. Relationships with such partners require strong cross-functional, internal collaboration with Global Product GMs and in-market teams, but also deep and extensive industry relationships. This position is full-time and based in Dublin with 20% travel expected.
- Build and manage strategic relationships with payment industry partners
- Define and execute on a comprehensive global payments strategy for Square in the rapidly evolving mobile payments and card acceptance space
- Strengthen the influence and market position of Square's business and brand while fostering joint marketing and promotion opportunities with industry stakeholders
- Expand our partner and product footprint globally, accelerating the distribution of both new and existing Square offerings
- Understand Square's competitive position and implement programs to further and improve payments products, services and strategic objectives
- Lead and support management for Squares strategic industry initiatives, including fostering the partner engagement required to enable new products and platforms
- Maximize current partnerships through detailed and proactive account management, working with key industry partners, suppliers, and industry associations to define, iterate and enable new products and Go To Market strategies
- Research and analyze industry trends and opportunities for Square to further distinguish its position as it relates to its payments products and Go To Market plans
- Condition the expectations and dynamics of key industry influencers while managing external influences to optimize for the impact on Square's role in the ecosystem
- Prior Experience and solid understanding of payment industry and its current evolution across Europe.
- An ability to lead cross-functional projects and interact at all levels with diverse roles including engineers, business partners and executive leadership
- Deep analytical skills that enable analysis of nascent industry movements
- A clear written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Strong relationship building skills coupled with the ability to develop consensus
- Understanding of the PSP business model and demonstrated performance in a regulated payments or electronic money institution preferred
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.