Lead Product Manager, Payments
- San Francisco, CA
We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. When everyone has room to grow. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
We are looking for a technical and strategic Head of Product for the Square Payments Platform. The job of our payments platform is to enable great products for our sellers. By doing the heavy lifting for Square and 3rd-party developers, we allow them to focus on creating differentiated product experiences. We believe that a general purpose platform of composable building blocks will accelerate the delivery of these products.
As the Head of Product, Payments Platform, you will lead a team of product managers across 12 sprint teams —from product definition to development, launch and iteration. The scope of your teams spans identity, payment acceptance, and banking services—from foundational services to public APIs. The Payments Platform powers all money movement for Square products. Therefore effective collaboration with stakeholders, while developing the long term strategy and vision of the platform, is key.
In this role you will champion the voice of our sellers and developers to deliver a platform that is not just reliable, scalable, and secure, but will make Square go faster.
- Develop and lead the product vision and strategy for the Payments Platform
- Understand the jobs to be done for the platform, synthesize those needs to shape the product roadmap for a suite of platform products, and define key metrics
- Strategically assess new opportunities and develop alignment around these
- Manage and develop a team of platform product managers
- Collaborate and build executive alignment for your vision
- Foster a community of data-informed decision making
- Customer oriented: you are driven by our purpose of economic employment and serving our sellers and developers
- Long term thinking: platform product should have a long term view of where the platform and product teams (first and third party) are headed. Ability to think strategically and craft a high level narrative is critical.
- History of successfully launching and scaling platform products with public APIs and maintaining them across multiple versions
- Platform product leadership: collaborate with product and engineering leadership across Square to develop the overall platform and skillset.
- Team Management: ability to manage and coach a team of platform product managers.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Optimist with a manageable ego: the ability to stand up for your work when you really believe in it
- Deeply curious and want to understand the why
- Not satisfied with the status quo and want to raise the bar
- 12+ years of product management experience
- Technical and analytical background
- Strong track record of execution
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.