Principal Software Engineer, Developers Experience
- Seattle, WA
We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. When everyone has room to grow. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
The Developers Experience team owns Square's public Application Management Dashboard (https://developer.squareup.com/apps), documentation platforms and widgets, and SDKs that are used by thousands of external developers daily to integrate with Square. We partner with internal teams to help them release their products faster and with higher quality. Our customers are developers, just like us.
We're looking for an experienced web engineer to help us develop the next great console and documentation platform for our customers. You'll work directly with the team to lead the technical direction of our web based projects as well as with our UX and PM groups to ensure we're building the right solutions for our customers.
- Help direct the technical direction of all of our web projects
- Architect and write code that acts as a platform or library for other developers to work on
- Author widgets, interfaces, and other web pages to deliver the best customer experience possible
- Mentor a team of talented developers and review code and architectural proposals
- Help shape not only Developers Experience, but other web related teams by participating in larger reviews and tech discussions
- Extensive experience (8+ years) designing, building, and operating complex systems with a variety of web technologies
- History of leading and mentoring engineering teams, in and outside of your org, to raise technical standards and achieve business goals
- Excellent interpersonal skills that enable effective communication and collaboration with a variety of stakeholders
- Passion for building products that are beautiful from their user experience to their robust and elegant design
Technologies we currently use:
- Ruby, JRuby, Rails
- Java, Python
- MySql, Redis
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.