Software Engineering Manager, Payroll
- San Francisco, CA
We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. When everyone has room to grow. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
Square revolutionized what it means to start a business. Now, we serve merchants once they’re up and running by radically altering the way employees get paid and how businesses manage their finances. Our mission is to think beyond a traditional payroll product to transform the lives of the people that make their living through our platform. We are an essential and growing part of the Square ecosystem, and we’re using our position to build products and features that serve our merchants and the people who work for them.
We’re looking for a product-minded and experienced Engineering Manager that can help us set and accomplish our goals while working with teammates across the company. Sound like you? Read on.
- Partner closely with product managers, designers, engineers, and business leads to establish your team’s vision and roadmap by thoroughly understanding your customers’ needs
- Build products, systems, and services that have immediate impact on our customers
- Build a world-class team by hiring remarkable talent, coaching and developing engineers, fostering engineering decision-making, and applying your technical expertise to maintain a high bar
- Foster ownership, inclusiveness, and urgency in the team
- Report directly to the Head of Engineering for Payroll and participate in essential technical, design, and product discussions with leaders across the company
- Relevant BA/BS degree or equivalent industry experience (5+ years preferred).
- 2+ years experience directly managing engineers (including feedback, performance, hiring, career guidance)
- Experience collaborating with other engineering leaders and your fellow team members in Product, Design, and Growth roles.
- A background in software engineering and the ability to provide technical mentorship and guidance to your team.
Technologies we use and teach (but still get in touch if you haven't used these):
- Ruby on Rails, Java
- RPC, REST APIs, Protobuf
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.