Senior Technical Accounting and Financial Reporting Manager
- San Francisco, CA
We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. When everyone has room to grow. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
We are currently seeking a Senior Manager of SEC Financial Reporting & Technical Accounting to report directly to the Head of Technical Accounting and Financial Reporting and be responsible for our external reporting, assist with our other statutory and regulatory filings, consolidations and provide support during our earnings cycle.
The ideal candidate must have a strong financial, SEC reporting and technical accounting background, be comfortable and confident navigating through innovative and complex matters to support transactions and products to help scale our product ecosystems, have outstanding communication and writing skills, be attentive to details, and be able to prioritize and manage multiple tasks while working with multiple cross functional teams. The candidate will need to demonstrate the ability to develop strong working relationships with cross-functional partners and various levels of senior leadership.
This individual will primarily be responsible for:
- The Company’s SEC filings including Forms 10K and 10Q;
- Assist with other SEC filings such as 8Ks and DEF 14A;
- Monthly and quarterly consolidations of the Company’s financial statements and equity accounting;
- Assisting the Company’s international accounting team with all aspects of international financial reporting and support for international board materials;
- Monthly, quarterly and annual regulatory financial reporting for the parent and various subsidiaries;
- Assisting with certain technical accounting matters, including carrying out research and documentation for a variety of complex and non-standard transactions such as mergers and acquisitions, debt offerings, new product initiatives etc., adoption of new standards, as well as general corporate accounting matters; and
- Help manage the financial reporting team.
To deliver on these responsibilities, this individual will be required to:
- Plan, coordinate and manage the various SEC filings including the 10K and 10Q, working cross functionally with different teams including corporate counsel, finance and strategy and various product teams in the process;
- Be a key part of the annual audit and quarterly reviews with external auditors, the corporate accounting team,finance and strategy and executive management;
- Assist the Investor Relations team with various investor deliverables such as earnings releases, investor Q&A and other presentations;
- Coordinate and manage the monthly and quarterly consolidation and financial reporting process;
- Manage and coordinate the preparation of financial statements for international subsidiary entities and other regulated entities and support the audit of such entities;
- Research, evaluate and document to a high standard technical accounting conclusions and reporting implications of complex and non-standard transactions, as well as general corporate accounting matters to help drive accounting policies;
- Be flexible and a team player that is trusted;
- Provide team mentorship and coaching as necessary;
- Exhibit the highest ethical standards while demonstrating accountability and ownership, and
- Lead or participate in special projects as needed.
Relevant qualifications and skills for this position include:
- A Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or equivalent;
- CPA required;
- 12+ years of experience required – Big 4 experience preferred;
- Public company experience required (preferably from working at a high growth disruptive public company, Financial Services / Payment Processor industry experience desirable but not a requirement);
- Comprehensive and current understanding of US GAAP, including recently issued accounting pronouncements, and SEC reporting principles and regulations;
- Knowledge of Sarbanes Oxley and internal control frameworks;
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously; and
- A “roll up your sleeves” approach in order to accomplish all necessary tasks
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible. Perks At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes: Healthcare coverage, Retirement Plans, Employee Stock Purchase Program, Meal reimbursements, Wellness perks, Paid parental leave, Flexible time off, Learning and Development resources