Senior Software Engineer (Frontend), App Marketplace
- San Francisco, CA
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs
We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. When everyone has room to grow. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
Commerce is changing, and as part of that Square is transforming from a product company to a platform company. If you join now, you will join a new dedicated team building our App Marketplace to help connect Sellers and Developers. Square's Developer Platform is in the epicenter of the massive wave of omnichannel retail combining in-store and online / in-app payments. You'll help create an "AWS of Commerce" as our developer platform exposes core primitives for other companies to build on top of. And you'll have a great experience with our motivated, friendly, and diverse team.
As a Software Engineer on the Developer Platform team, you will…
- Work cross-functionally with product, engineering, and design teams across Square to ensure a consistent and clear developer experience.
- Design and develop the APIs and UI responsible for 3rd party developers experiences using our platform.
- Build experiences for developers of all skill levels and millions of Square Merchants.
- See the big picture to design robust experiences so the team can be brave and move fast, without ever showing a negative impact to customers.
- Form the dedicated team focused on building and growing our App Marketplace http://squareup.com/app-marketplace
- Have a desire to build Square's developer platform, where we succeed when our merchants and developers succeed
- Deeply enjoy writing and shipping production software
- Have experience in front-end codebases (Ember is a bonus, but not required)
- Have an opportunity to work full stack
- Can identify ways to quickly prototype complex ideas
- Whether you have heard of "Lean Startup", "Customer Development", "Human centered design" or not, you have a deep desire to focus on delighting our customers
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.