- San Francisco, CA
For sellers, we’re creating one cohesive service to run your entire business, from a register in your pocket to analytics on your laptop. For buyers, we’re making it faster to order from the businesses you love and more fun to pay your friends back.
Buying and selling sound like simple things—and they should be. Somewhere along the way, they got complicated. We’re working hard to make commerce easy for everyone.
By working within Square’s Communications & Policy team, you will help craft and shape the narrative of our company through external-facing work. We are looking for a creative thinker who knows how to execute and deliver on big ideas and is comfortable being part of a team who pushes the boundaries of storytelling. You will bring a data-driven perspective and discipline to our team, and provide statistical support, research, and newsworthy insights to impact the business, our sellers, and the broader economics, markets, and financial community.
- Report to the Head of Brand and Purpose Communications and lead the team’s data analysts.
- Partner with Square’s Government Relations and Policy team to provide research and insights for public policy needs.
- Seek and unearth macro- and microeconomic trends related to Square’s purpose of economic empowerment, our industry and sellers, informing external-facing projects.
- Design, run, and analyze surveys to add additional context to our payments data and create standalone insights.
- Work with academic institutions and trade associations to produce and publish research.
- Investigate trends within our payments data, including payment volume and item-level data, growth metrics, economic indicators, etc.
- Be a credible advocate and spokesperson for media and content opportunities.
- Collaborate with our design, social, and communication teams to create creative data journalism projects that highlight Square’s sellers.
- Promote data best practices and act as an advocate of data-driven culture across Square.
- Ph.D in economics or related degree from a quantitative or qualitative field with a research background in applied macro- and microeconomics
- 3+ years experience in industry, consulting, government or academic research; in-house research work at a public company is a plus.
- Experience performing analysis with larger datasets.
- A comprehensive understanding of economics within the broader media and financial industries.
- Strong and effective verbal and written communications skills; able to explain work in non-technical terms to partners.
- Proficiency in analytical tools, such as Python and SQL
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Meal reimbursements
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources