Senior Tax Director, Tax Provision and Global Compliance
- San Francisco, CA
Square is looking for a Senior Tax Director to lead Square’s global income tax provision and compliance process. The Senior Tax Director will report to Square’s Head of Tax and will work with finance, accounting, and legal and oversee all aspects of Square’s income tax provision and compliance on a global basis. The Senior Tax Director will manage global income tax compliance and audits, including managing both domestic and international external advisors. You should analyze all sides of an argument, have strong analytical skills, the ability to research and write tax technical memos, document tax positions and ensure that the proper checks and balances are in place to ensure all aspects have been considered.
- Own the global income tax provision (ASC 740) including identifying and documenting uncertain tax positions and tax contingencies (ASC 740-10 and ASC 450-20) and all related footnotes and disclosures for the financial statements.
- Manage tax related internal controls, global income tax compliance, and global income tax audits.
- Research and document tax positions.
- Support Head of Tax with ensuring Square is compliant with all tax rules.
- Manage relationships with external advisors on various projects.
- 12+ years of experience with corporate income tax provisions (ASC 740) and compliance.
- Big 4 public accounting experience preferred, including serving as the lead tax provision person for a public company.
- Expert understanding of U.S. tax rules and exposures. Exposure to international tax issues.
- Excellent knowledge of ASC 740 and its practical applicability.
- Strong interpersonal communication, management, and team building skills.
- Strong project management, planning, and organizational skills – including the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast paced environment.
- Experience with Oracle/Hyperion a plus.
- Ability to manage and train staff.
- Ability to explain complex tax issues in a simple, clear, and concise manner.
- Strong tax technology and process improvement skills
- An upbeat attitude; ability to find and implement internal or external best practices.
- A level of comfortability to report out on status in real time. We are a very transparent company with lots of bright and inquisitive minds.
- A creative approach to finding solutions while always ensuring compliance.
- Unquestionable integrity.
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Meal reimbursements
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources