Tax Manager, International Transactional Tax
- San Francisco, CA
Square is looking for an International Transaction / Indirect Tax Manager to join our tax function. You will be a part of the Tax Team and will support all international transaction tax compliance, reporting, audits, planning and integration activities. We are looking for passionate individuals who will work as a member of Square’s Tax team, leading efforts to support our product teams.
- Ensure compliance with all international indirect tax requirements, which includes performing legal research and analysis on a variety of international indirect tax questions and draft memorandum and other written documents, maintain and communicate knowledge of past, present and potential future tax laws, regulations, rulings, procedures and court decisions.
- Manage third-party service providers; review and approve indirect tax compliance including, but not limited to GST, VAT, JCT. Partner with internal groups within the Company such as accounting and legal departments.
- Manage efficient closing of all indirect tax audits and tax assessment notices.
- Lead a team of motivated tax professionals.
- Manage and help develop software solutions for indirect tax automation; Identify, develop, and direct the implementation of technology tools and process improvements to reduce low-value work, and increase tax resource productivity/focus on more value-added work.
- Provide expertise and oversee the implementation of processes as a result of evolving business practices or tax legislation.
- Guide and partner with several teams to establish and refine tax policies, processes and system workflows.
- Help develop and implement tax requirements for product launches.
- Research VAT legislation, case law and other VAT guidance to support the Tax Lead.
- Participate in and lead educational sessions on developments in international VAT legislation and case law.
- Provide new products taxability analysis, product advice, systems mapping for the new products, and entering them into Vertex.
- Manage international transactional tax nexus analysis.
- Support the transactional tax guidance on special projects.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or a related field.
- 7+ years of tax experience working with complex multi-state taxes or industry, primarily focused on VAT.
- Strong project and people management and organization skills.
- Familiarity with e-commerce sales taxation trends.
- Good listening, negotiation and problem-resolution skills.
- An upbeat attitude; ability to find and implement best practices.
- Passion and experience delivering results in a rapidly changing business environment.
- An ability to analyze all sides of an argument, document tax positions for our auditors, and ensure that the proper checks and balances are in place to ensure all aspects have been considered.
- A detailed understanding of common principles of VAT and ability to apply them to the business and detailed exposure to VAT taxation, country-specific or multi-jurisdictional VAT consulting and VAT compliance.
- CPA or Master's in Taxation or equivalent.
- Experience using G Suite applications (Spreadsheet, Docs, Slides, etc.).
- Indirect tax experience in the technology industry or multinational company.
- Experience in Big 4 accounting firm or law firm a plus.
- Experience running reports and extracting data or invoices from Oracle, MySql, Hyperion, APEX, Regulator, Looker and Netsuite
- Experience maintaining, running reports and extracting data from Vertex
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Meal reimbursements
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources