Product Analytics Intern, Hardware
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
Product Analysts at Square are embedded within product teams and leverage engineering, analytics, and machine learning to empower data-driven decision making in the full lifecycle of product development. As a Hardware Product Analytics intern, you will join the Hardware team for 12-16 weeks to provide insights about our Sellers in partnership with our Product Team. You will help to drive strategic decisions with data, lead growth and experimentation initiatives, and develop automation solutions to personalize product experiences. Square’s mission is economic empowerment, and our team supports this by using data to understand and empathize with our customers, thereby enabling us to build a remarkable product experience. For more insight into what we do, check out this blog post: https://medium.com/square-corner-blog/product-analytics-at-square-8796766a14e3
The Hardware team designs, builds, and delivers the tangible connection to Square to help our customers understand and engage with our products wherever they are, wherever their business takes them. We started by making the Square Reader; the simple and universal way to connect a billion credit cards to the smartphones in everyone’s pockets. Then, we extended this idea to our brick and mortar merchants with Square Stand and most recently, Square Register, our first fully integrated point of sale.
- Join the Hardware Analytics team for 12-16 weeks starting in January 2020
- Partner with product stakeholders to make data-driven decisions across the organization by leveraging descriptive and predictive analytics where it will have a material impact
- Apply a diverse set of tactics including statistics, quantitative reasoning, and machine learning, to solve problems as well as independently research and produce actionable insights
- Work on complex, cross-functional problems that extend beyond the traditional boundaries of product domains, analytics, and data science
- Communicate analysis and decisions to key stakeholders in verbal, visual, and written media
- Provide day-to-day analytics support to partner teams, develop tools and resources to empower data access and self-service so your expertise can be leveraged where it is most impactful
- Pursuing a degree in Economics, Statistics, Computer Science, Mathematics, or related technical field
- Experienced in performing data analysis using Python (pandas, scikit-learn, etc.), R and/or SQL
- Able to understand complex business and data systems
- Able to clearly communicate complex results to technical and non-technical audiences
- Versatile and willing to learn new technologies on the job
- An advanced degree (B.S., M.S., PhD.), preferably in Statistics, Computer Science, Physical Sciences, Economics, or a related technical field
- Familiarity with Linux/OS X command line, version control software (git), and general software development
- Experience in programming or scripting to enable ETL development
- Familiarity with other data tools and databases such as Looker and Snowflake
- Experience using statistics and machine learning to solve complex business problems
- Previous industry experience or internships in product related analytics
- Independent research experience
Technologies we use and teach:
- Looker, Tableau
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.