iOS Senior Engineer, Mobile Developer Experience
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. And make it easier for customers to shop and pay at their favorite businesses. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
Mobile Developer Experience (MDX) is responsible for building and providing all necessary infrastructure and tools to ensure Square’s mobile development can continue to be fast and efficient at scale. We're looking for folks who are excited to problem solve and find solutions that empower hundreds of mobile developers to move more quickly than our competitors.
Engineering efficiency is particularly important for Square’s ability to continuously ship high quality software, so we strive to ensure our development tools enable developers to ship their features with speed and confidence. This is a high force multiplier, cross-functional team aiming to enhance the development experience for all mobile developers within Square.
You will be part of the team responsible for owning the entire development stack (build system, build tools) and integration with CI. You will improve the development process to allow our engineers to ship as quickly and effortlessly as possible. You’ll be working primarily on the mobile platform infrastructure focused on our largest scaling code base, Square’s Point of Sale applications, but we expect the results of the team’s work to be applicable to other Square applications.
What will you do:
- Innovate to amplify the efficiency of our mobile developers to develop, build, test, and release high quality apps to our merchants.
- Identify key performance bottlenecks in the development experience including the build system, IDE integrations, testing frameworks, and pull request workflows.
- Help define the scope and the priorities of the team by identifying opportunities to decrease build times, reduce system complexity, and improve the developer experience
- Optimize the performance, reliability, and usability of our CI pipeline
- Own the success of your team's projects, and deliver quantifiable results on schedule.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical, working experience
- Extensive knowledge of build systems (e.g. Bazel or Blaze, Carthage or CocoaPods) and CI tools (e.g. Circle, Travis, Jenkins)
- Experience for supporting build or CI systems infrastructure (ideally at scale)
- First hand experience building apps for iOS in Swift, Objective C
- Excellent software engineering aptitude and the ability to provide technical mentorship and guidance
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.