Product Design Manager, Square Capital
- San Francisco, CA, USA
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy, so we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We began with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there.
We started Square Capital to serve as a trusted financial partner to our sellers, facilitating the funding they need to take the next important step in their business. Our role in the Square ecosystem puts us in a unique position to expand access to capital to more businesses of all sizes. Using technology and data, we bring simplicity, flexibility, and transparency to financial products, creating a more inclusive financial system. In 2020, we will continue to create new products and add features to our core offering.
Learn more about Capital’s mission of expanding access at https://square.com/capital/access.
***For consideration, please submit a link to your portfolio***
We're looking for a design lead for the team that builds and operates our primary business credit products. As the design lead, you’ll report to the Head of Design and have influence over the customer experience across all of our business financing product touchpoints. You will lead a team of talented designers and researchers, and you will work within the support of Square’s established and iconic product and brand while also rethinking the patterns which brought us to today.
Your team will include product designers and researchers, and you will provide direction and guidance of their output, facilitating cross-functional partnerships and design process. You will promote a world-class design practice, influence product strategy, and ensure product execution. As a Design Lead, you'll provide mentorship and champion the craft and career development of your team, while creating a safe haven so designers can accomplish their best work.
At times you will be hands-on with the design work, pitching in on smaller project execution to support your team to do deep focused work, however this is primarily a leadership and management role.
The Capital Design Team values collaboration and you will work with product managers, engineers, marketers, and data scientists to create remarkable products for our customers. You’ll be directly responsible for decisions that influence the product and road map. On this team your work will span from core features to experimental projects.
- Manage and inspire a team of product designers and researchers, providing direction and pushing the quality of the work
- Influence product strategy and contextualize high-level decisions and direction for your team. Function as a strategic partner for the Product Lead for Square Capital's business financing products.
- Build relationships with cross-functional team members from Program Management, Engineering, Product, Marketing, and Data Science and speak to product strategy, design goals, and execution.
- Hire designers and researchers who will continue to push the bar of excellence for the team.
- Advocate for user research for the needs of the product and meet with merchants to gain first-hand experience
- 3+ years managing design teams in the development of software and leading design teams and the ability to build, mentor and motivate teams
- Diverse portfolio of work personally designed and shipped along with examples of work directed and delivered by your team.
- 8+ years experience in digital products (emphasis on web and native), and knowledge working with a wide range of UI Design, Visual Design, UX Research in a technical environment or complex product suite.
- A history of (and enjoyment in) people leadership, including: recruiting, training and developing, leadership-by-example, and organizational design
- Experience working in FinTech, payments, or a related space
- Ability to travel 10% of time to other Square offices